suspended attachment of earnings more than i can afford

Options
hoping someone can please give me some advice as I'm really worried.

long story short about 4 years ago my husband was out of work a year due to an operation while i was at uni as a student nurse, during this time we defaulted on 3 bills and i thought i was now paying them £25 each, i wasn't and last month i received a letter from the court i had a ccj i didn't know about and then wanted an attachment to earnings, i filled in the paperwork and offered £25 a month.

i can only afford £25 a month, our income is just over £3000 a month and our current bills with food petrol and travel for daughter at college is literally the same as our income, without even allowing anything for clothing, hair, birthdays, holidays even days out etc.

today i have received a suspended attachment of earnings and they want £195 a month which i just don't have, we have about 3 loans and 6 cc that im working overtime already to try and pay off, in 3 years they would be paid. our credit files are low mainly due to high balances on available credit but improving

i don't know what to do i simply don't have it, without killing myself with more overtime or defaulting on loans and cc i was managing o clear x

Comments

• spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Whats your income and what is the protected earnings rate on the attachment of earnings?

Ive also not come across a suspended attachment of earnings that is payable? Its suspended which means not enforced?!
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,928 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Well which is it, suspended or not ?

Did you tick the box for a suspension on the N56 ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • wubbzy
    wubbzy Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    the suspended part means if i make the payments without fail they won't attach it to my earnings
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you thought you were already paying out £75 per month, and that was within your budget, then how can your maximum now be only £25 per month?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,928 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    There should be court form N56 included in the letter, you need to fill that in, it’s basically a statement of means, and return it to the court within 8 days, including a copy of your last wage slip, have you done this ?
    The court then sets a payment based on what you have put on the form.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • wubbzy
    edited 12 October 2019 at 10:50AM
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    If you thought you were already paying out £75 per month, and that was within your budget, then how can your maximum now be only £25 per month?

i never said 75 not sure why your even saying that :( i though i was paying the 3 different bills, its turned out i wasn't paying one of them, i didn't say I've received 3 letters from court, just one for one bill x
  • wubbzy
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    There should be court form N56 included in the letter, you need to fill that in, it’s basically a statement of means, and return it to the court within 8 days, including a copy of your last wage slip, have you done this ?
    The court then sets a payment based on what you have put on the form.

that's what i recieved last month and i did that showing i only had £25 a month spare which i probably don't anyway as towards the end of each month i have to use my cc for living expenses already x this new letter says they've decided i have to pay £195
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    edited 12 October 2019 at 8:46PM
    Options
    Have a look at this

and maybe chat this through with National Debtline.

If this is unaffordable you have to persuade the court to change it, or change your job (which seems a bit extreme)

Edit: if this fails you will have to look at an overall strategy for your debts, maybe a debt management plan or insolvency. Again, National Debtline can run you through the options
  • katsu
    katsu Posts: 4,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    If you are using your credit card every month for living expenses then I think you need to get some help with your budget etc. You must be getting into more and more debt every month.

Look at the National Debt line link and maybe also check out Stepchange, Payplan, Citizens Advice online... read the form here, there's lots of good help.
    Debt at highest: £8k. Debt Free 31/12/2009. Original MFD May 2036, MF Dec 2018.
  • Pinkydoodah
    Options
    Originally posted by macman
    ”i never said 75 not sure why your even saying that i though i was paying the 3 different bills, its turned out i wasn't paying one of them, i didn't say I've received 3 letters from court, just one for one bill x
    I agree with macman, your original post states you thought you were paying three bills a month at £25 each?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure