RBS Mortgage - Say I am in arrears even though I am not!

Options
Hoping someone can offer some advice! I have held an RBS Offset mortgage for the past 12 years - last month (April)I needed to change my payment date fro the 20th to the 28th so i cancelled my direct debit, filled in a 'change of payment' date form which I returned to then and in the meantime made a manual payment prior to the end of the month.

Yesterday I received a call from RBS stating that my mortgage account was now in arrears..by 0.42p! As a result they have added a late payment fee and marked my credit file as being in arrears for the month of April!

I am utterly astounded. I paid the mortgage in April - to my mind how can I have been in arrears when the payment was made? This seems completely disproportionate and I am also incensed that they did not contact me straight away if they thought there were any issues!

I have lodged a complaint and am waiting for their complaints department to contact me but in the meantime wondered if anyone else had experienced anything like this?!

Comments

• minimike2
    minimike2 Posts: 2,210 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I shouldn't worry. These things are generally automated.

Once a human gets hold of it they should see some sense and make it right.

It is your mistake, as really you shouldn't have cancelled the direct debit - You should have alerted them you wished to change the date and let them sort it without manual intervention - The 42p is likely to do with the calculation of interest on a daily basis which is why your payment didn't quite cover it, but anyone with an ounce of sense will conclude it was a genuine mistake of very minor significance and put you back to where you were.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You needed to pay the right amount. I'm sure the fee will be refunded. Systems are automated.
  • GarthThomas
    GarthThomas Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    It sounds like you delayed your payment before the bank had allowed you to do so.

If that's the case then you'll have accrued extra interest and your late payment will not have covered it.

Is this right, you requested a date change but just went ahead and cancelled the payment prematurely? If so then the marker is correct.

I'd apologies, explain that you made a mistake, and ask them nicely if they would remove it this once.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    With an offset there should never be the need to change the date you just put the money in the offset when you have it and take it out on payment day(or make the payments from an offset account if you can).
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The manual payment maybe seen as overpaying the mortgage

Did you call them and tell them you wanted to change the DD date and you cancelled it??

Never do this, expensive lesson potentially.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport