Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • tawecdl
    • By tawecdl 4th May 17, 1:21 PM
    • 1,033Posts
    • 814Thanks
    CSA written off then CMS raise again!?
    • #1
    • 4th May 17, 1:21 PM
    CSA written off then CMS raise again!? 4th May 17 at 1:21 PM

    This is a query for a friend I thought IO would ask for advise for him on here...

    In brief, mother approached CSA in 2006 and was granted.

    Father paid a certain amount but did not hear from CSA so paid mother certain amounts as and when he could.

    In 2009 mother told CSA she will just get money off father as and when required. Case closed

    Father was told over the phone this will be written off and mother confirmed.

    CMS now have sent father a letter saying he owes 4200 for period 2006 - 2009.

    Father told CMS this was written off and was told if he cannot prove that he has paid that 4200 since 2009 then they WILL collect it from him.

    He has no evidence.

    Does he have a leg to stand on. Mother now wants the money.

    Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • daddydodo
    • By daddydodo 4th May 17, 4:31 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    • #2
    • 4th May 17, 4:31 PM
    • #2
    • 4th May 17, 4:31 PM
    The CMS will take the word of the PWC as opposed to the NRP. So in this case they will believe what the mother tells them. If he has paid the money all that needs to happen is the mother needs to call them and tell them everything is good. If she doesn't then the CMS will hound the father for the back payment. So it's down to the integrity of the mother.
    • By WYSPECIAL 6th May 17, 7:01 AM
    • 337 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    • #3
    • 6th May 17, 7:01 AM
    • #3
    • 6th May 17, 7:01 AM
    And also down to being able to evidence the payments.

    Does he have a letter stating the case was closed and all arrears written off?

    If not the arrears will remain collectable.

    If he paid by bank transfer then he needs to get his old statements.

    Unfortunately if he just handed over cash with no receipts then he has lost his money.
    • NotSuchASmugMarriedNow
    • By NotSuchASmugMarriedNow 6th May 17, 5:19 PM
    • 575 Posts
    • 1,112 Thanks
    • #4
    • 6th May 17, 5:19 PM
    • #4
    • 6th May 17, 5:19 PM
    what do you mean "mother now wants the money"? She's had the money, why is she asking for it again?

    Anyway, confirmation of payment in the way of bank statements is evidence enough to satisfy the CMS
    Overactively underachieving for almost half a century
    • Sambella
    • By Sambella 6th May 17, 5:24 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    • #5
    • 6th May 17, 5:24 PM
    • #5
    • 6th May 17, 5:24 PM
    Could be worth putting in a SAR request to see your case file.

    There could be evidence there somewhere of the case being closed.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 7th May 17, 12:11 PM
    • 16,600 Posts
    • 41,121 Thanks
    • #6
    • 7th May 17, 12:11 PM
    • #6
    • 7th May 17, 12:11 PM
    Was she on benefit at that time? If so, the rule then was that the government sought maintenance payment to pay towards the benefit, so she could only keep 20 (a week/month, can't remember) of it.

    In this, it has nothing to do with her but with CMS seeking what they consider is what you owe them. You should never have agreed an arrangement with her then if she was on benefits because that option wasn't available then for single parents claiming single parent benefits.
    • montyrebel
    • By montyrebel 9th May 17, 1:12 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    • #7
    • 9th May 17, 1:12 PM
    • #7
    • 9th May 17, 1:12 PM
    did he pay cash or via a bank transfer etc that can be traced
    mortui non mordent
    • swingaloo
    • By swingaloo 9th May 17, 6:27 PM
    • 1,801 Posts
    • 3,218 Thanks
    • #8
    • 9th May 17, 6:27 PM
    • #8
    • 9th May 17, 6:27 PM
    My husband had a similar thing happen. He paid the mum directly without the CSA involvement. Then the mum decided she wanted more money and informed the CSA that she had not received anything and he was sent a bill for over 4000 pounds.

    In his case he had receipts for the money he had given her and all the bank slips were marked 'maintenance'. However he was 360 short as he couldn't find a couple of receipts and he had to pay that money back to the CSA even though he had paid it once and it did not go to his ex but to the CSA as his ex had also been on benefits.

    If you don't have the receipts you are not in a good position to argue your case.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,029Posts Today

5,223Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke?

  • No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr?

  • Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R?

  • Follow Martin