Jewish ideas please

Options
Many years ago I worked in a local Jewish school. I worked with some wonderful people. Recently I bumped into one of them, she is Jewish. We don't see each other socially but I would like to make a gift for her. As we do see each other each month. I'm thinking of doing a stitchery with either a quote or picture based round the Old Testament

Does anyone have any suggestions for a quote I could use. Numerous or serious is fine.
Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes

Comments

• DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This is a pretty big no-no. Are they Orthodox, modern orthodox or reform?

Jewish mothers reserve wall space for their sons and grandsons. It's also pretty bad form for a Goylem to reproduce a part of their holy scripture.

I'd completely rethink the "stitchery" idea - I've never ever seen one in a relative's house (and I have a fair few of them), it just isn't the done thing.
  • sethsgran
    sethsgran Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you so much I really needed some good advice as I would hate to offend her. Once again thanks
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    A_uGXgwCEAIMu7D.jpg:large

A shmoigel of green fruit.

If you don't understand the reference, it's from 'Friday Night Dinner', and is a joke specifically about non-Jewish people trying to give 'Jewish' gifts.
  • sethsgran
    sethsgran Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    LOL I understand the food no no but didn't realise about other gifts.
  • bestfootie
    Options
    Just get her a shmoigel. She'll love it.
  • Davy_Jones_II
    Options
    I’ve a friend who similarly gets offended if any non-white colleague offers to buy them a drink.

It’s sad that people are so discriminatory.
  • coffeehound
    Options
    I’ve a friend who similarly gets offended if any non-white colleague offers to buy them a drink.

It’s sad that people are so discriminatory.

What scenario is that - in a bar or a cafe? This thread is very confusing :think:
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Keep religion out of it and just buy her something she'll like.

I'm mixed (mum was Jewish until I was a teen then converted to dads Christian religion) and it's fine to just get a gift.

If cross stitch is your thing just do her something non-religious, my non-Jewish mother in law has cross stitches up all over my house and my Jewish family all think they're lovey. She made my sister (who still practices) a nice baby cross stitch when she had my niece and it has pride of the place in the nursery.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure