REV transcription

Options
Dear all:

I have often contributed to this forum, but mainly asking for advice. I thought I would repay the favor by talking about my personal experience with REV. Please note I have not been paid by REV to do this and I cannot guarantee that you can replicate the results I have.

REV is a transcription and captioning (subtitling) service. It is an online thing and once you have submitted an application, if you are successful, you can and will earn money (paid in dollars into your PayPal for work that you do.

The reason I am talking about REV is for one reason and another, due to marital breakdown I found myself working contract jobs and I couldn't guarantee that my contract would be renewed. Out of desperation, I tried all the old tricks, paid surveys, the 20 Cogs (or whatever it is called) subscribe to this, wait for a full moon then you will receive £3 type things, all to no avail

REV however, is the only thing I have found that does actually do what it says - you do the work, you get paid (a small amount) - do not expect to earn much money ($20 dollars in the first week would be sensible) but if you are in a hole or want to earn something extra, it all adds up and it isn't wasted effort.

Please be aware however (without wanting to sound arrogant), this is a skilled job, I would suggest that you need a decent technical understanding of the English language and you need to be very accurate and methodical in your working,

If people want more info please let me know, However, I restate, this is not an advert, I felt a bit desperate before and REV work helped me out where all the money for old rope schemes (unsurprisingly) did not.

Cheers

Graham

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mixed reviews online for People working for them , earnings less than minimum wage , sudden bans , sudden downgrades if previous completed jobs etc
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Graham1982
    Options
    Hi:

I haven't had a sudden ban, they are fairly "sharp" as in you have to meet their metrics or spot checks otherwise you do get kicked off but then I guess as a examiner of British GCSEs etc I am used to that, I mean it would be expected that you would be taken off of marking if you were doing it incorrectly.

Yes it is less than minimum wage but you are a "freelancer", it is not, as far as I can see, a replacement for a job or a career BUT for example, if you have a water bill coming up and you don't have the money, you could get the money this way.

Thanks

Graham
  • General_Grant
    Options
    Graham1982 wrote: »
    Hi:

I haven't had a sudden ban, they are fairly "sharp" as in you have to meet their metrics or spot checks otherwise you do get kicked off but then I guess as a examiner of British GCSEs etc I am used to that, I mean it would be expected that you would be taken off of marking if you were doing it incorrectly.

Yes it is less than minimum wage but you are a "freelancer", it is not, as far as I can see, a replacement for a job or a career BUT for example, if you have a water bill coming up and you don't have the money, you could get the money this way.

Thanks

Graham

Do they care about things like punctuation? Is it verbatim - so that if someways says "off of", you don't correct it?
  • Februarycat
    Februarycat Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I have done a couple of jobs on Rev in the past and they do pay on time weekly but I find the audio files are not very clear and was taking me longer to type it back. I do like that you can preview the file before accepting the job.
  • Depeche101
    Options
    Hi Graham,

Thank you for replying to me. I can't see a reply button on the messaging system ANYWHERE. I've now just read that as a new member I'm only allowed to send one message every 60 mins apparently.

If you have more to say you could talk to me for 60 mins and I'll reply when I'm allowed. In answer to your question, no I've not signed up yet, I'm just finding out if it's a good idea.

Thank you

Kate
  • Misty_Blue
    Misty_Blue Posts: 876 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    edited 30 October 2019 at 4:48PM
    Options
    I do a lot of transcription and proofreading work, including for Rev. They're not the highest payer but I like the system of being able to pick and choose the files when you want to, and that you can claim a file, check the audio and then unclaim it if it's not up to scratch. They're very reliable payers as well.

Due to the way the Rev system works, it's the newbies (Rev calls them Rookies) that get stuck with the worst audio, as they're the last to see the available jobs. Once you move up to becoming a Revver and a Revver+ you get paid a higher rate and you get first pick of the audio.
    Egg Loan - [strike]£4921.84[/strike] £0!! :j Barclaycard - £3866.47 Legal + Trade - [strike]£2700.96[/strike] £0!! :j Triton - [strike]£1730.89[/strike] £0!! :j Next - [STRIKE]£776.15[/STRIKE] £126.88 Littlewoods - [strike]£217.16[/strike] £0!! :j Housemate - [strike]£1300[/strike] £0!! :j Capital One - [STRIKE]£1652.51[/STRIKE] £1,081.58 Vanquis - [strike]£2337.75[/strike] £375.58
    A Payment A Day - £379.02 to Egg.
  • Misty_Blue
    Options
    Do they care about things like punctuation? Is it verbatim - so that if someways says "off of", you don't correct it?

Actually, it's one of Rev's rules that transcribers do not correct speakers' grammar or paraphrase their speech, as long as it can be understood.
    Egg Loan - [strike]£4921.84[/strike] £0!! :j Barclaycard - £3866.47 Legal + Trade - [strike]£2700.96[/strike] £0!! :j Triton - [strike]£1730.89[/strike] £0!! :j Next - [STRIKE]£776.15[/STRIKE] £126.88 Littlewoods - [strike]£217.16[/strike] £0!! :j Housemate - [strike]£1300[/strike] £0!! :j Capital One - [STRIKE]£1652.51[/STRIKE] £1,081.58 Vanquis - [strike]£2337.75[/strike] £375.58
    A Payment A Day - £379.02 to Egg.
  • olliebean
    olliebean Posts: 597 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Just looking into this now - one thing I notice is that they insist on US spelling, which as a British person is something to be aware of, as it means having to deliberately spell certain words differently from what you are used to and consider correct.
  • Ghost_2005
    Ghost_2005 Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Anyone got any recent experiences - good or bad - with these people? I applied for the video captioning job and seem to be on a waiting list that might be 3 months or more before I can join. They recommended also applying for the audio transcription position, which I think is lower paid, so I did that one today and heard back that I'd failed the entrance test. Odd as I was much more dubious about the test I did for the video captioning. Apparently I can reapply after 45 days, but I have no idea how I failed this one and so imagine I'd just fail again. Either I made way more errors than I can think of or the criteria is super tough.

Anyway, assuming I do eventually make it out the queue for the video work, can anyone advise what the work is like in terms of pay rate, availability etc. Thanks.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback