Leaving work urgent help pls

Options
I am currently working full time and our financial year has only started April 2018. So we get 20 days holiday not including bank holidays.

I have already taken 5 days holiday not including holiday and have requested for another 5 for June 11 - 15. However I've gotten an offer for a new job and the problem is if I hand in my notice now would my holiday booked for 11-15 be taken off? I have already booked plane tickets and holiday and didn't know i was going to be offered a new job. But i dont want to hand in my notice after my holiday because then the new job offer might not be happy to take me anymore.

Can someone please help me :(:(:(

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The issue is your holiday year not the financial one, but I assume they are the same for you.

So you likely already owe around 2 days of the 5 already taken. if you leave, but you have not given any indication of notice. 2 weeks notice, take your holiday (unpaid/unemployed) start new job?

As for the extra holiday, You know your company better than us, maybe they will let you have it unpaid if you have greater notice.

You need to be talking to both companies and working something out.

|My though is if the new company won['t be flexable with you now then why would you want to work for them at all?
  • Katapolt
    Katapolt Posts: 291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The holiday cant be taken off if you havent taken it - but if the holiday falls in the period youd work your notice, it would be classed as taken.

Are the potential new employers aware of the holiday? you will want to ensure they know, so it isnt a shock when youre just starting a job then say you need holiday. Most employers are very accommodating of previously booked annual leave.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Katapolt wrote: »
    The holiday cant be taken off if you havent taken it - but if the holiday falls in the period youd work your notice, it would be classed as taken.

I have no idea what that means. It makes zero sense.

If you give notice thay can take all holiday off you if they want. Especially since you appear to to have accrued the days to take it (or even the gholiday taken so far).

Otherwise if they give you notice of the removal and give as long notice as the holidayt is then they can cancel it. However theymay be liable for losses (depending on your terms).

As I said before, you know how accomodating they are likely to be. And talking early is best for all parties.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Turn the job down or explain how you’ve gone through the interview procedure without being able to advise you have pre-booked holiday - the majority of employers I’ve spoken to recently have asked about pre booked hols even at telephone interview stage.

Whilst I can feel for you - The only way you’ll dig yourself out of a hole with new employer is if you say you’ve now found ‘your notice period extended’ or somehow have the option to greatly back track.

Do not walk into a new job saying you need holiday - you have to do it before absolutely do not risk it until you’ve started as everything will be against you. It’s all about the timing I tell employers at this time I have a month’s notice period (which is true) they don’t know I’ve a week’s holiday coming up so the month at the moment is an absolute saving grace. It’s all in the timing as it gets closer to my week holiday I will clearly not be trying to get an interview I’d like to hope! It will be my que to take a break if anything! If an employer cannot wait, it strongly signals something anyway. Part of me isn’t looking to leave until I am able to be confident I won’t be paying old employer for holiday taken and not fully accrued really. :cool: been there had the deductions from my pay which makes you learn for next time..
  • PACA93
    PACA93 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Hi,

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think i didn't explain it very well.

I have a current job - holiday year has started from April 2018 which gives me 20 days holiday not including the bank holidays.
    I have taken so far 5 holidays and 5 more has been booked and approved for 11-15 June.
    I have received the job offer last Monday 21st may and they do know that my average notice is 4 weeks if i work for a year or less and 6 weeks if more.

My question is, "is my current employer has the right to refuse my already approved holiday if i handed in my notice now?" I dont mind them taking money from my salary.
    The only reason why i want to use my holiday is because I have already paid for the holiday and its fairly expensive.

Thank you all for all your help :)
  • LittleVoice3
    Options
    My question is, "is my current employer has the right to refuse my already approved holiday if i handed in my notice now?" I dont mind them taking money from my salary.

If the holiday year started on 1 April and you leave the end of June you will have accrued ("earned") just a quarter of your holiday entitlement for the year (20 plus 8 BHs), that's 7 days. You are not entitled to a year's holiday if you don't work for a full year.

With 5 days and 3 BHs between 1 April and 30 June, you would appear already to owe them holiday.
    They could allow you to take the time as unpaid. You will have to ask.
  • bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    PACA93 wrote: »
    Hi,

The only reason why i want to use my holiday is because I have already paid for the holiday and its fairly expensive.

So let me see if I understand this correctly. You want to hand your notice in and are concerned your employer will cancel your holiday which will fall during the notice period.

Yes your employer can cancel it providing they give you sufficient notice. For 1 week they have time to do this. But realistically why would they do this unless for malicious reasons? Unless the two of you are parting on bad terms, it would seem very unlikely that they would do this.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,962 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If you already have your leave approved, I would just hand in notice when you intended to and take it from there. There is no obligation on your part to remind them that you already have leave approved.

When do you intend starting your new job? If it is a month from now then just give in notice that you will be leaving on 23 June.

Wait and see what happens, in theory they have until 4 June to retract your leave, but it is unlikely a company would be so petty.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure