Can my loan be written off?

Options
Hi,

Please can anyone help?

I took out a loan with Halifax in April 2011 for £8500 over 5 years. I was paying this off on time until May 2013 when my circumstances changed and my lower income meant I was struggling financially. I signed up with Step Cange and have been paying the loan with a debt management plan ever since. To date I have paid over £11000 but they still say I owe over £6500. The debt has now been bought by Lowell Portfolio.

I would like to write to them and request the debt is written off as I have paid the original balance and feel I've paid enough towards the interest.

Does anyone know if I can do this and how?

Thanks

Comments

• Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You can write to them about it, but it is almost certainly not going to happen.

As the loan is in DMP now, did Halifax agree to freeze the interest?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you write to them you will need something better than you think you have paid enough interest. With the DMP your still paying them something so they will get their money eventually.

A better chance maybe make a full and final offer. Or go through statements to see where charges were made that should not have been.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• ChChCh
    Options
    Arleen wrote: »
    You can write to them about it, but it is almost certainly not going to happen.

As the loan is in DMP now, did Halifax agree to freeze the interest?

I thought the interest had been frozen and presumed I was just paying off the balance, but I don't understand how I still have over £6k left. Maybe the interest isn't frozen... I need to speak to them and find out. I've not really given it much attention as I've just been paying the DMP but now I'm back on my feet I've got a bit more umph to look into it.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,948 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    That seems like an excessive amount of interest on such a small loan.
    Get a statement of account, i would say interest has not been stopped at all.

I would write and seek an explanation about this from them, if they stop interest and charges for one customer, then it seems entirely reasonable they should do the same for your self, although they are not obliged to do so, they are meant to serve all customers fairly.

Clearly in this case, you may of "disappeared between the cracks", kick up an Almighty fuss, demand some of this interest be refunded, and your existing balance be wiped, as you have already repaid the debt to them.
    Make it clear you have been disadvantaged by there unfair actions, and you want redress.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Karonher
    Karonher Posts: 918 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 March 2017 at 2:19PM
    Options
    Unless I have read something incorrectly, the figures do not add up. Had you stuck to the original loan repayments you would have paid off the £8,500 by April last year.

To have paid so much over, it makes it look like you have paid more per month on the DMP than you would have done had you carried on with contractual payments.
    Aiming to make £7,500 online in 2022
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport