Marriage allowance

Options
My daughter transferred her married allowance to her husband as she was not working. She went back to work 2 yrs ago and did 14 hrs and thought nothing about it. She has just increased her hours to 25 and I asked her whether she will need to cancel the marriage allowance. She has not got a clue, is there anything she should do? If she leaves it as it is, it does matter as her husband will benefit. I guess it will be better if she rings HMRC and cancel. Thanks

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Will she be earning more than her tax allowance which is £11850 for this year and £12500 for next ?
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The way HMRC operate it, very, very few couples eligible for MAT lose. They may just win less than they expected.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Providing her husband has sufficient income to make full use of it (normally this is taxable salary or pension income of £13,750 from April 2019) then this is no real need to change anything.

But if she wants it back and she cancels it now the change will take effect from 6 April 2019. Which is probably ok given she has had mixed income in the current tax year.

Whatever happens she should make sure her husband doesn't cancel it (or not without an extremely good reason!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure