Local Govt Pension - age for payment

Options
I worked for a London Borough for 6 years leaving in 1984.

I have very little paperwork relating to this but have worked on the assumption that deferred benefits would become payable at age 65.

I am approaching 60 and have just had a pack from my former employer saying that my benefits are due to come into payment and setting out the various options.

I have rung to query this but the person was not sure and will clarify next week......

It would be a nice surprise to have the money now.

Does anyone know if this could be correct?

Comments

• bioboybill
    bioboybill Posts: 3,426 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    LGPS pension can be taken from 55.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    bioboybill wrote: »
    LGPS pension can be taken from 55.

Only for those who were contributing members after April 2014.

In Op's case, the earliest he can take this pension is indeed 60. The even better news is that with his dates of service his pension will be paid in full - ie, no reductions for early payment.
  • parcival
    parcival Posts: 949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 April 2018 at 12:33PM
    Options
    Thank you Silvertabby (I was hoping you would reply). This is indeed good news.

I was of course aware that I could take it from age 55 with a reduction. It's not life changing money but is still most welcome.

The paperwork talks about commuting part of the pension for a higher lump sum at a ratio of 12 : 1. Does the scheme have a facility to forego the lump sum for a higher annual pension?
  • Silvertabby
    Options
    parcival wrote: »
    Thank you Silvertabby (I was hoping you would reply). This is indeed good news.

I was of course aware that I could take it from age 55 with a reduction. It's not life changing money but is still most welcome.

Not in your case, as you left before 2014.
    The paperwork talks about commuting part of the pension for a higher lump sum at a ratio of 12 : 1. Does the scheme have a facility to forego the lump sum for a higher annual pension?

It depends. Inverse commutation (giving up part of your lump sum for a bigger pension) ended in 1997, and your records had already been deferred by then. I know that LGPS rules should be uniform, but different Local Authorities can and do interpret some guidelines differently. Can you remember getting a letter about 20 years ago (I know, I know!) asking if you wanted to keep the old rules (inverse commutation only) or switch to the new rules (no inverse commutation, but can opt to give up some pension in return for a bigger tax free lump sum)?

In hindsight, most of the letters which were returned opted for retention of the old rules - because a lot of people assumed that old rules would be better for them than the new rules - then, when they came to retire, they kicked off because they couldn't commute in order to take the 25% tax free cash.

I would suggest that you ring your LGPS provider to ask if you can use inverse commutation - but be sure to speak to one of the older, more senior staff members as the youngsters are unlikely to know what you are talking about!
  • bioboybill
    Options
    Only for those who were contributing members after April 2014.

In Op's case, the earliest he can take this pension is indeed 60. The even better news is that with his dates of service his pension will be paid in full - ie, no reductions for early payment.
    Ah, I didn't realise that it only applied to those in service after 2014.

How does he get his pension unreduced at 60? I assumed that only applied via the 85 rule. He only has 6 years service. Is there another rule I'm not aware of?
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    It depends. Inverse commutation (giving up part of your lump sum for a bigger pension) ended in 1997, and your records had already been deferred by then. I know that LGPS rules should be uniform, but different Local Authorities can and do interpret some guidelines differently. Can you remember getting a letter about 20 years ago (I know, I know!) asking if you wanted to keep the old rules (inverse commutation only) or switch to the new rules (no inverse commutation, but can opt to give up some pension in return for a bigger tax free lump sum)?
    I left localike government in 1996 and when I reached 60 I was able to reverse commute part of my pension.

I had no alternative but to take the pension at 60, there was no option to defer it. I ended up funding AVCs in my private sector scheme to avoid paying higher rate tax. Looking back it was actually quite good that I had to actively look at my pension at that point!
  • Silvertabby
    edited 26 April 2018 at 2:25PM
    Options
    bioboybill wrote: »
    Ah, I didn't realise that it only applied to those in service after 2014.

How does he get his pension unreduced at 60? I assumed that only applied via the 85 rule. He only has 6 years service. Is there another rule I'm not aware of?

In round figures:

1978 to 1984 = 6 years active membership.

1985 to 2018 = 33 years deferred membership.

Deferred membership doesn't count towards the amount of pension payable, but it does count towards R85.

So, 39 years plus age 60 = 99 = R85 well met.

However, deferred service between 2 periods of active service on the same pension record doesn't count towards R85.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    However, deferred service between 2 periods of active service on the same pension record doesn't count towards R85.

You are a treasure, Silvertabby.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • bioboybill
    Options
    In round figures:

1978 to 1984 = 6 years active membership.

1985 to 2018 = 33 years deferred membership.

Deferred membership doesn't count towards the amount of pension payable, but it does count towards R85.

So, 39 years plus age 60 = 99 = R85 well met.

D,OH! I forgot about the deferred membership, which is pretty amazing since I told my wife she should defer until 62 when she meets the 85 rule. Need to put my brain in gear!
  • parcival
    parcival Posts: 949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks to you all. I am well chuffed!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts