can i get my council tax band reduced

Options
I lived in a house with tax band A built in 1960. moved in in 1974. Ex council house. I had a house fire in 2008 and the house was demolished and rebuilt and we moved back in 2010. The house has the exact same footprint as before, same amount of rooms, same layout, same driveway, garden etc. My new banding was D. I appealed this and got it lowered to C. Every house in my street is band A. Should i also be on band A or am in the correct band as my house is now worth more than all the others in the street as it is a newer build. I live in Scotland. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You should have agreed a lower band when you appealed. If you ask for a further reduction the Assessor will most probably reply that the CT band has already been agreed with you and will take no further action.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi rab27

It looks to me like any fresh challenge/appeal you make will be considered out of time now, as your post implies that the band was changed to C several years ago following the house's reconstruction.

https://www.spso.org.uk/sites/spso/files/communications_material/leaflets_public/subject_factsheets/13_05_31_Council_tax_banding.pdf

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • lincroft1710
    Options
    Hi rab27

It looks to me like any fresh challenge/appeal you make will be considered out of time now, as your post implies that the band was changed to C several years ago following the house's reconstruction.

https://www.spso.org.uk/sites/spso/files/communications_material/leaflets_public/subject_factsheets/13_05_31_Council_tax_banding.pdf

Dennis
    @natdebtline

OP can ask for a band review, this is not an appeal as such, although seeking the same result. But the Assessor will probably just say already agreed as I intimated in my previous post
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do they consider any home improvements made to the property in the years since 1991 or is it a straight forward case of "value in 1991" ?
  • lincroft1710
    edited 17 March 2018 at 8:15PM
    Options
    In England and Scotland, for CT purposes a dwelling is valued as it existed in its physical state as at 1 April 1993 or date of last sale if that is later. In Wales the pertinent date is 1 April 2005. So in England if a dwelling was extended from 100 sq m 3 bed in 1996 to 120 sq m 4 bed, and sold in 2001, it would be valued as a 120 sq m 4 bed but at 1 April 1991 prices.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure