State Pension

Options
I may seem stupid,but do my wife and i get a married pension or do we get a pension in our own right.We are now both self employed,and have worked most of our lives.We both pay class 2 contribuitons.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Depends on your NI contributions.

You can get a state pension forecast online (albeit taking a few days to get the login ID sorted). That would be your best bet.

As you are now self employed, you will no longer qualify for an increase in your second state pension (used to be known as SERPS). The forecast will show you how much basic, graduated, serps and S2P you have qualified for so far. Then it will project it forward in real terms.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Options
    https://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk

You each get a pension in your own right.But if your wife's pension is less than 60% of yours it can be made up to that level after you retire.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport