Re mortgage - in UK or Spain?

Hi, Im new to this site so please stay with me...
Have two uk properties each with uk mortgages on them. Have Spanish property with no mortgage on ...I understand Euro mortgages can be cheaper, my query is:

Can I re mortgage by consolidating my existing 2 uk mortgages to 1 spanish mortgage on the mortgage free spanish property?

Any suggestions any one ...Martin ???

Thank you
:cool:

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,955 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I was told on this board yesterday that a mortgage doesn't have to secured on the same property that your recouping the rent on, in order to get tax relief on the interest payments.

See here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=211095
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • cash99
    cash99 Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tax relief will not be a problem, but have you considered what happens it the Euro appreciates against the £. The 1-2% you save in interest is wiped out in very short order.

Unless you are comfortable with the risks involved with currency speculation then it is only wise to have foreign currency denominated mortgages if you have a foreign currency income to pay them with.
    if i had known then what i know now
  • Cook_County
    Cook_County Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You'll also need to consider the implications for Spanish wealth taxes and forced heirship rules...my message is for you to focus on both sets of rules in deciding.
  • Don't know abot mortgages as I haven't got one...but I do know that selling a Spanishproprty generates 20% tax for residents, 40% non residents... Don't kniw whether it's the same if youhahve a motgae, but worth looking into.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure