Doctors and patient confidentuality

Options
If someone signs away their confidentiality and gives the rights to someone to access medical records, can that person go to the doctors and ask that the appointment is kept confidential whilst still allowing access to the previous records.

If it makes a difference the issue the new visit is needed is related to the reason patient had to sign away confidentially rights.

Before anyone asks I will not be going into details why as a) i don't want to and b) I am sure the question can be answered without the finer details needed.

Thanks

Comments

• GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would say that if you've written to say that for example your insurance provider can see your medical records then you're signing for them to see anything up until that date.

You might come across some issues if they ask for further letters, mine asked for a letter and also the notes from all my consultations for the last 5 years and I had to sign another consent form. I imagine that if I'd refused they would have refused to insure me.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks unfortunately I wasn't given a copy of what I signed and I didn't ask for one :(

I don't think it was dated so not sure if your logic will apply.

I was thinking more do I have the right to ask the doctor to keep an appointment confidential and separate from the agreement I signed. I am scared to ask the doctor as if the answer is no then I assume my question will be logged and will become part of the information I have allowed access to.
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    You can withdraw your consent at any time. So if the doctor has already provided the info, you can withdraw consent to him providing any more info. If he hasn't provided it at all yet, then he will just refuse to provide any.

You can't force him though to omit relevant information but still provide a report.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Nicki wrote: »
    You can withdraw your consent at any time. So if the doctor has already provided the info, you can withdraw consent to him providing any more info. If he hasn't provided it at all yet, then he will just refuse to provide any.

Thanks. If I go down this route do I withdraw consent via the Doctors or do I need to go back to the original person I signed the consent form with and withdraw through them.
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    I would do it via the doctor.
  • Cyclizine
    Cyclizine Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You certainly need to tell your doctor - I'd do it in writing. I'm not sure the reasons for you wishing to withdraw consent, but be aware if it's to do with insurance or benefits then there may be knock-on effects to you.
  • indsty
    indsty Posts: 372 Forumite
    Options
    Your decision really relies on who you have given permission to. If, for instance it is for absence from work and the Occupational Health department has requested a report, then the only information your GP will give is what is relevant to your work situation. You would also have the right to see the GP report before it is sent to Occ. Health.

Talk to your doctor and find out exactly what will be happening in your particular case.
  • Thisishowyoudoit
    Options
    I see quite the issues with this situation. I would do what the others have said and ask your doctor, but this isn't so black and white.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure