still wittering on

Options
Sorry to keep on,
re my post further down,
pension worth 12k plus to cash in, need money, unemployed and 60 with little prospects.
3 options
#1 take tax free lump sum, and get £70 per month
#2 take the lot as one lump sun, about 9.5k and pay tax, on which opinion is divided if I can get any of it back if I could get any.
#3 leave it in the Pru and keep on struggling and skint till 65
What does the team think? all advice appreciated

Comments

• EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Options
    If you cash it in and reclaim the tax, you can then invest it @6%, again paying no tax and will get 60 quid a month, plus all the capital.

12k in hand and income of 60 quid a month, vs 3k in hand and income of 70 quid a month is no contest IMHO.

In addition, if you want a guaranteed income you can use the money once liberated to buy a "purchase life annuity" which will give you a higher income per month because it has different tax treatment.

https://www.hmrc.gov.uk should be able to confirm you can reclaim all the tax.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • Garnet_Gem
    Garnet_Gem Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    Take the tax free lump sum. It's better to have control of your own money (if you're disciplined enough to manage it).
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you take the whole lot will it reduce your pension credit allowance down?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    If you take the whole lot will it reduce your pension credit allowance down?

If it did (but this won't one gather apply for 5 years) then of course the capital can be spent, something you can't do with a pension.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • kenb2
    kenb2 Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks edinvestor, sort of notion I was hoping for, my instinct is to take the lot, reinvesting a bit of it makes sense
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure