Is there any way of finding out last time of contact with debt collector?

Options
Hello.
I want to figure out when a debt will become statute barred.
Is there any way of finding out when the last time of contact / acknowledgement of a debt was with a debt collector (without aknowleging the debt / restarting the clock obviously)?

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,953 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    No, not really.

If the debt no longer appears on your credit file then thats a good indicator that is is now over 6 years old.

However, only you know when last contact/payments were made etc.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • DopeyTom
    DopeyTom Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    No, not really.

If the debt no longer appears on your credit file then thats a good indicator that is is now over 6 years old.

However, only you know when last contact/payments were made etc.

:(
    Can barely remember last week, let alone how many years ago I spoke to these debt guys.

My credit file shows that the account defaulted about 5 years ago, but I think last contact was more recent...

One last thing:
    My credit file lists an old address of mine in relation to this debt (I guess this is where the debt collector is sending letters etc), is there any way of updating the collection agency with my current address, so I can look out for a LBA, without making contact / aknowleging the debt?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,953 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Yes you can amend your address on your credit report.

Then the next time said DCA does a search, they will have your updated details.

You wont be acknowledging anything.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    edited 20 July 2018 at 2:33PM
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Yes you can amend your address on your credit report.

Then the next time said DCA does a search, they will have your updated details.
    That's probably already happened, as you would have given your complete address history to get your report.

It's often getting a credit report that prompts a flood of DCA letters, so you may well hear from someone about this. If there's a default date 5 years ago then they will think (unless you're in Scotland) that they still have time to collect on this.

However, the default date can be an indicator of when the last payment was made as it is supposed to be registered 3-6 months after the contract broke down.

If you can access your old payment details you may well find your final payment was around 5.5 years ago

You can only acknowledge a debt for the purposes of the Limitation Act by payment or in writing. Any phone conversation, or anything they sent you, would not count
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure