P800 says I am owed money for 2017/2018 but I have not yet file a return

Options
I have received a letter from HMRC advising that I am owed a few hundred pounds because I have over paid for the tax year 2017/2018.n However, I have not yet filed a tax return for the year (I am self-employed) so can this be right? Have I simply failed to understand something?

Ian.

Comments

• BakingC
    BakingC Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes. HMRC do reconciliations each year to check people have paid the correct amount through PAYE.

You may have overpaid because you changed jobs in the year and were on an incorrect tax code. Tax is supposed to be calculated on a year to date basis meaning people do not under / over pay by year end but not everybody's tax code works like that for a variety of reasons.

Think of it like HMRC saved some of your money for you (as long as you didn't need to get credit to afford living due to being over taxed)
  • MDMD
    MDMD Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you are self employed then you should make any repayment claim on your tax return. If you normally do them you will need to speak to HMRC
  • Tazzymutt
    Options
    MDMD wrote: »
    If you are self employed then you should make any repayment claim on your tax return. If you normally do them you will need to speak to HMRC
    Thank you.

Yes, I am self-employed and complete a short tax return each year but have not yet done so for the year ended April 2018, which is why I am confused about an apparent overpayment for that tax year. My income has been very low this year and I do not expect to pay any (or very much) tax but, as yet, HMRC do not know that, so how can they calculate a refund? The deadline for filingis nowhere near yet...
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    The basic principle is you are either in the Self Assessment system or the PAYE/P800 system.

It should be one or the other but I guess occasionally things go wrong and you end up with both :o

If you claim the repayment calculated by the P800 then you will need to remember to include the repayment on your tax return when you come to complete it. There is a box something like "tax already refunded by HMRC" which you need to complete in these circumstances.

Alternatively call HMRC and ask them to cancel the P800.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure