Cheap Train Fares guide discussion

Options

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can see £51.50 singles (each, each way) on both days - or £34 with a railcard. The return train doesn't get into L'pool until after midnight though
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 26 November 2010 at 6:02PM
    Options
    Steve83 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I know I've left this really really late, but my girlfriend and I are travelling from Liverpool to Penzance for Christmas. We want to go on Thursday 23rd, returning on Tuesday 28th. Any cheap tickets out there, or wll we have to pay the full £270?

Thanks in advance.
    Try splitting at Birmingham and Exeter.

Liverpool Lime Street to Birmingham New Street...
    Advance Singles are available both ways for £9.00 per person each way.

Birmingham NS to Exeter St Davids...
    Advance Singles are available both ways for £27.50 per person each way.

Exeter StD to Penzance...
    Advance Singles are available both ways for £6.00 per person each way.

So total for two adults return might be as low as £170.
    So a £100 saving just for asking the question.

All that depends on your exact times of travel.

Remember, with Advance Singles you must travel on the booked trains.

Info from Southern Railway.

Editted to add:
    Having looked at times, the above may not be physically possible.

How about:
    Advance Single Liverpool LS to London Euston at £11.00 per person each way via London Midland Trains only.
    Combined with a Super Off Peak Return London Paddington to Penzance at £82.60.
    Cross London travel =£4 each, each way.

Total = £225.20 for two return.
  • Steve83
    Options
    Thanks everyone, journey now booked.

In the end it cost us £188 - the one you suggested Livingthedream. So a saving of £80 which isn't bad considering how near we are :D
  • Cletus1970
    Options
    I am booked on the following trains Saturday 8th January:-

07.45 Dover Priory - Victoria, then 10.20 Euston to Manchester Piccadilly.

Returning 18.55 Manchester Piccadilly - Euston, then 22.12 St Pancras - Dover Priory.

So, my basic question is, would I be able to get on the 08.44 Dover Priory - St Pancras to save time without having to pay extra??
    Is there any way ticket inspectors can tell from the information on the ticket?

My outward ticket states: Route - +VWC & connections. Validity - Booked train only.
    My return ticket states: Route - +VWC & connections. Validity - as advertised
    Neither ticket mentions whether on High Speed service or not.
  • Cletus1970
    Options
    If it says 'booked train only' then no, you have to get the specific train you paid for. Doesn't your ticket actually state the time and route on?

Only for the Euston-Manchester seat reservations.

That's my reasoning that I could get on any train out of Dover Priory because there's no specific train mentioned on that part of the journey.
  • Cletus1970
    Options
    No, I have 2 tickets, it only says Dover Priory to Manchester Stns and vice versa, plus the other info on my original posting. No mention of which way into London.
  • thriftymanc
    Options
    Cletus1970 wrote: »
    No, I have 2 tickets, it only says Dover Priory to Manchester Stns and vice versa, plus the other info on my original posting. No mention of which way into London.

In that case I would say that you would be able to get the faster train. It does seem quite unusual that there's no information on your first journey whatsoever. Normally if I book a journey that has two legs, I'll get a ticket for each part that states the start and end station and the time the train departs - if either leg has a reserved seat, I'll also get a separate reservation ticket. I've never had a ticket that simply states where to start without stating the starting time. I hope someone else on here can confirm - but as I say, if it doesn't give a time there's no way the conductor can know that you're not on the exact train booked.
  • chrissy21_2
    Options
    Anyone any idea on cheap ideas on trains from Bolton to Edinburgh? Thanks :-)
  • Livingthedream
    Options
    chrissy21 wrote: »
    Anyone any idea on cheap ideas on trains from Bolton to Edinburgh? Thanks :-)

Couple of Ideas;
    1. Book well in Advance and get those cheap advance single tickets.
    2. Look at the Transpennine Express Website as they sometimes have offers on.
    3. Go Via 'Glasgow Central' or 'York', on the East Coast website Search engine click 'more options' then 'via'.
    4. Or if possible, post your journey details on the forum ie dates, perferred times and number of passengers and I'm sure somebody on the forum will help you.
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    If you are intent on avoiding fees, then avoid all the third party ticket sellers like raileasy and thetrainline.
    Raileasy wrote: »
    "If you are intent on avoiding fees, then avoid all the third party ticket sellers like raileasy and thetrainline."

For a limited time there are no card charges or booking fees when you book with raileasy please go to the raileasy website and add /nofees to the URL

Raileasy, when I made that post in mid November it was good advice.

It still is good advice.

So Raileasy are, for a limited time, removing fees.

A step in the right direction of course, thanks.

By the way, have you seen this information?...
    If you're a company/business and think you have a genuinely good deal worth letting our site users know about then please email the Forum Team on [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL]. Do not post on the Forum. If appropriate the Forum Team will forward your email to the MSE Team and it will be considered.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure