SuzyN's Debt Free Diary

Options

Comments

• SuzyN
    SuzyN Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 6 August 2018 at 11:45PM
    Options
    Hi Summer :) I think I might consider 6 months of token payments. Im doing 3 now but 6 will allow me to gather up some emergency funds too.

Off to look up Dave Ramsey :)

Thank you !!!
    LBM: July 2018 - Contacted SC :j

Paid off to date - £986
  • a_silver_lining
    Options
    Couldn't read and not post.

SuzyN you are doing so well! Fantastic to see you turn around how your feeling by taking control :) keep up the good work!
    19/12/14: Spent 10 years of savings!!
    :heart2: ..... to buy my first home. :heart2:
    11K OP 31.03.19

Current goal: €151,000 deposit Ireland and counting, to buy Spring 2022 we hope!
  • Scott-Weiland
    Options
    Personally, I don't get along with things like YNAB, it just doesn't sit right with me, it's kinda like "you know you're rubbish with your finances, so we'll charge you x amount, to prove it to you"... that said however, it's whatever works for you.
    I use a combination of spreadsheets linked up with a OneNote journal to keep track. Don't see why I should pay for something to track my finances when I can do it for myself...

You're doing great and making progress; step by step you will get there

I have to agree here re budgetting tools like YNAB i tried using it for a bit and it didnt sit right with me. I used the old fashioned way pen and paper, my income each month is the same unless its bonus month. I worked out what my out goings are and from there what my disposable income was and what i can comfortably pay off debits.

I did what you have done and rejigged a few things. Did you speak with sky/manage to reduce anything else???
  • UncannyScot
    UncannyScot Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Scott - I just don't trust any app like that with my financial data... after all, it monitors all the interactions between all your accounts, all your transactions, all the stuff you spend money on... so, apart from you, who else gets access to all that data??? Sorry, nope, maybe its just paranoia, maybe I'm overthinking it. It took me ages to get around to using internet banking with my bank accounts and it was the same with their mobile banking apps. I needed to have some kind of assurance that my data stayed with them.

For me the epiphany was when I started to keep a spending diary of my own and updated it throughout and/or at the end of each day... after a month I realised where I was wasting money and on what and was able to make the necessary changes to plug that breach and make savings.

Sorry SuzyN, we appear to be hijacking your thread here... sorry :o
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • SuzyN
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Loving the hijack as it just shows that we are all different. Ive got a free subscription and love apps etc so its up my street. I may hate it soon - a bit like my relationship with my fitness pal where I can't be bothered to input what I eat after a few days but sure will see what happens ha ha!!

Haven't made any other changes at the moment Scott but paid some things off today that have been sitting there for ages so feeling good about that and had a conversation with Nationwide online banking re my new account online access and apparently if you mess up online banking registration then you have to wait for ONE WEEK to have another go?!?! So have to wait until the end of this week then see if the holy grail will allow me access or not!!

Loving reading every one else diaries so keep it up :)

Paid off to date - £986
  • GlendaSugarbean
    Options
    Happy new diary Suzy, you sound so positive and you've made great orivesss so far.

I love YNAB, but I have the old desktop version and am too grumpy to pay out for the annual fee!

Re accounts and tracking, have you looked at something smartphone based like Monzo? You can choose to get an account without an overdraft, it takes very little time to apply and more importantly (for me) it shows all your spending in real time - as soon as you make a payment it pings up on your phone. You can also set budgets for spending, saving etc. and set up DDs. It's regulated by the FCA too.
  • SuzyN
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Glenda I will definately have a look at that :)

Paid off to date - £986
  • efes_shareholder
    Options
    My daughter absolutely loves monzo however I had a look at the trial on YNAB and I couldn't fathom it out

I think the old school way is the way for me however lots seems to find these apps helpful , they can't all be wrong
  • SuzyN
    First Anniversary
    Options
    The good thing about the free trial is you dont have to input any card details etc... it really is free and no having to cancel. There are lots and lots of !!!8220;webinars!!!8221; that you can watch live (free) where they teach you how to set it up and use it. I also YouTubed it and found some helpful ones there.

Im not sure how it will work in the long term but this morning my fuel light came on and for the first time EVER in my life I thought !!!8220;oh I have money in my category for that!!!8221; so I know I can get fuel and not worry about other money as I know I will still have my grocery money, kids pocket money, uniform money etc etc...

Pen and paper is also fab but this works for me as my hubby and I can both see it live on our phones 24/7 and can see when each other use something up so we have better control.

Paid off to date - £986
  • Scott-Weiland
    Options
    Scott - I just don't trust any app like that with my financial data... after all, it monitors all the interactions between all your accounts, all your transactions, all the stuff you spend money on... so, apart from you, who else gets access to all that data??? Sorry, nope, maybe its just paranoia, maybe I'm overthinking it. It took me ages to get around to using internet banking with my bank accounts and it was the same with their mobile banking apps. I needed to have some kind of assurance that my data stayed with them.

For me the epiphany was when I started to keep a spending diary of my own and updated it throughout and/or at the end of each day... after a month I realised where I was wasting money and on what and was able to make the necessary changes to plug that breach and make savings.

Sorry SuzyN, we appear to be hijacking your thread here... sorry :o

Haha sorry too hijack too.

So you won't be an advocate for Open Banking when it comes in lol. Google it uncannyscot i am dreading it when it comes in. Its basically an app where you can access everything in one place ie all your account.

I use two mobile banking apps and thats it and pen and paper i know what i have, i tick off when stuffs being paid. Any extra cash i get ie survey money i either pay off extra off debts or save it or treat myself but i dont budget deviate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure