Pendleton Somerby Hybrid Bike

Options
124»

Comments

• fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a £250 classic ladies bicycle with hydraulic disc brakes?
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a £250 classic ladies bicycle with hydraulic disc brakes?

That's a huge ask. Besides I suspect a service on hydraulic brakes will cost more than the bike is worth.

What's wrong with cables especially at that budget and bike type?
  • fred246
    Options
    Well I was the one who said it was a good bike for the money. We then had the lightweight brigade and then you started on about disc brakes.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    The bike you originally mentioned was a monster weight wise which probably would have had you struggling to handle. I know a number of people that hate Boris bikes because of the weight. So, the focus on a lighter bike is a good one.

I mentioned disc brakes because for somebody coming back into cycling after a long break it will give them much more confidence. You use the brakes and you slow and stop straight away rather than rim brakes which have to shed all of the water off the wheel rim before stopping. The extra meters in stopping could mean hitting something especially for a beginner.

Hydraulic brakes are for top end fast bikes, with your cheapy granny bike you’d be better off with cable pull disc brakes.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 June 2019 at 5:57PM
    Options
    The bike you originally mentioned was a monster weight wise which probably would have had you struggling to handle. I know a number of people that hate Boris bikes because of the weight. So, the focus on a lighter bike is a good one.

I mentioned disc brakes because for somebody coming back into cycling after a long break it will give them much more confidence. You use the brakes and you slow and stop straight away rather than rim brakes which have to shed all of the water off the wheel rim before stopping. The extra meters in stopping could mean hitting something especially for a beginner.

Hydraulic brakes are for top end fast bikes, with your cheapy granny bike you’d be better off with cable pull disc brakes.
    I have a mountain bike with hydraulic disc brakes and a pricy carbon framed road bike with normal cantilever brakes and they work better and faster than the complex hydraulic brakes on the mountain bike. Even the discs and pads are affected a little by really bad rain .They are not immune from water between disc and pads.. Cars front discs brakes are the same
    . My cantilever brakes stop very well in the wet too.Possibly theres a slight delay on full braking but not enough to cause excessive danger unless going high speed down a steep hill in pouring rain.
    Anyone commuting on a slow and heavy bike will not be going much faster than 12 mph I would have thought. Disc brakes , especially hydraulic ones are an absolute pain to service themselves compared to simple and better normal wired brakes.
    The majority of pro s in the Tour de France still use rim type brakes and they are averaging 30 mph speeds.
  • fred246
    Options
    The OP was looking at a bicycle with mudguards, chain guard and rack fitted. Very reasonable 14kg. A Boris bike is 23kg. Weight of bike makes little influence to cycling speed.
  • onashoestring
    onashoestring Posts: 1,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Halfords are offering a 48 hour Electric Bike trial, the opportunity to test ride a Carrera Crossfire-E Mens/Womens Electric Hybrid Bike, Carrera Crosscity Electric Bike or the Pendleton Somerby Electric Bike for up to 48 hours for FREE. Getting started is simple:

Enter your postcode into store locator to find your nearest 48 hour electric bike trial store.
    book a phone consultation for a time that suits you.
    Pick up your E-Bike at the booked time - don't forget that you need bring with you a valid debit or credit card and passport or driving licence!
    Enjoy taking your E-Bike for a spin!
    Return your E-Bike back the store at your allotted time.

https://www.halfords.com/advice/cycling/buyers-guides/electric-bikes-buyers-guide-halfords
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure