How to claim back solicitors fees when entitled to legal aid?

Options
Hi can anyone advise what to do. Charged and paid £1,800 for solicitors fees when unemployed and entitled surely to legal aid! How can I complain about company and what should u write. Should I say I am taking you for e.g to small claims court and upload copy county court summons.
This friend of mine is ill and had been on income support for years and I have proof he paid it.
Anyone know how I report this solicitor etc. He didn't even turnup to the final hearing and lost the case and was evicted from flat but council have given him emergency temporary housing.

Any help greatly appreciatef

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    essex_girl wrote: »
    entitled surely to legal aid!

Did you tell them this before you engaged them? What was their response?

Did the solicitor you chose definitely work under legal aid?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 October 2019 at 5:39PM
    Options
    You appear to be guessing you were entitled to legal aid.
    Legal aid eligibility has been drastically cut in recent years.

What was the legal aid for and have you properly checked your eligibility? Did you actually apply for it at any point?

ETA - your post is very confusing but did you mean your friend should havad had legal aid? If so, he needs to check and he need to complain, not you.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • essex_girl
    essex_girl Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It was for a possession order. They were a couple on a joint claim for ICS she got sick and they split...She got a solicitor and hers was legal aid ..sorry if post wasn't clear..I'm just trying to help him.. any advice greatly appreciated
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A solicitor is entitled to bill their client for the work they have done. They cannot be taken to small claims court for issuing a bill for their services. You can complain about the quality of their work if you do not believe it was up to standard. Firstly the complaint should be to the senior partner of the firm and if no satisfaction either the Legal Ombudsman or the Law Society

Your friend has to apply for legal aid before he instructs the solicitor and make the solicitor aware this is a legal aid case. I do not think legal aid can be authorised after a court case.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Your friend has to apply for legal aid before he instructs the solicitor and make the solicitor aware this is a legal aid case. I do not think legal aid can be authorised after a court case.

It is in fact the solicitor who applies for legal aid after taking instructions from the client. Only authorised firms can apply for legal aid. There may or may not be a charge for the first meeting, this depends on what authorisations the firm has.

It is no longer the case that finances alone passport someone onto legal aid. There is also the merits to be considered and these have been tightened up. It would be useful to know what year the OP is talking about.

The most crucial thing may be whether the firm in question even undertook legal aid at all. A firm that undertakes legal aid is supposed to check the client's eligibility at the outset but there is nothing to force them to do that. However, a firm who do not offer legal aid are under no obligation to direct potential clients to one that does. Also, an experienced practitioner knows whether a case meets the merits criteria or not once a case has been explained to them.

It is a reflection of the times that one side can be given legal aid and not the other.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure