Advance Purchase Tickets if Train is Cancelled?

Options
2»

Comments

• westv
    westv Posts: 6,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Althought there probably are some, I cannot think of any TOC specific tickets that are more expensive than non-specific tickets.

Can you please give an example?

I've had a quick look and there are a few that are a £ or too higher. It was more the service being direct that would appeal more to me - especially at the thought of having to wait on a cold platform for a connection.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    westv wrote: »
    It was more the service being direct that would appeal more to me - especially at the thought of having to wait on a cold platform for a connection.
    Well if you want the 'direct' route, you'll have to wait for that train, won't you? ;)
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    westv wrote: »
    So you're basically screwed in that instance - no wonder the rules are so vague about the subject.

How are you 'screwed'? You get to travel on the next available train operated by the TOC specified on your ticket. Or on a train operated by another TOC if authorised, which it is at times of major disruption.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • epm-84
    epm-84 Posts: 2,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Depends on the journey and the ticket restrictions.

For instance, for Manchester to Carlisle you might have a ticket marked "Virgin West Coast (VWC) + Connections" and your itinerary shows using a TransPennine Express service between Manchester and Preston and a Virgin service between Preston and Carlisle.

If the TransPennine service is cancelled you can use it on the next service to get to Preston (TransPennine or Northern Rail) but you must then board the next Virgin service to reach Carlisle and not use another operator's service on that leg.

On the other hand if you had a Manchester to Carlisle marked "TransPennine Express (TPE) only" then you can't use another operators' service unless a member of rail staff authorises you to do so (which they will if the next service by the same operator isn't until the following day or something.)
  • shark_DB
    shark_DB Posts: 78 Forumite
    Options
    on a slightly diffrent note, how about if there is major disruption and all trains are running about 2hrs late on a basic half hourly service. If I'm booked on the 1700 can I get on the next train to the destination after 1700hrs or do I have to wait for the 1700 to arrive at about 1900hrs?
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    If it's an Advance ticket it's valid on the delayed 1700 service. But in such circumstances it is likely that you would be authorised to travel on another train by the same TOC.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you train is cancelled and your journey is significantly delayed you can claim a refund or part refund.

I've had a journey on an advanced ticket where trains have been delayed/cancelled, and I had to take an alternate route, I was only 16 at the time and didn't know much about train travel, but my mum checked and they said it was fine. Then she left me to board my train, having to do a couple of changes on the way lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure