Help to keep me honest

Options

Comments

• glass_half_full
    Options
    Narola1976 wrote: »
    Ouch, both financially and physically - I do hate the dentist! But needs must,
    I think it is sensible to get the work done probably and hey that is what the EF is for. And you will still have £500 left if something else cropped up which hopefully it won't. I think its psychologically better not to delay the DF date - you have had great momentum and if you can keep this going then all the better. The progress you have made is amazing, so pleased for you
    Have a great time on your camping trip - another chapter in your lives as DS goes off to uni -
    what is he studying? He must be excited. Have you read Martin's guide for those going off to uni? Also, YNAB gives students a free year subscription or they used to - is this something that might help him. My DS is 15 and already she understands the 4 rules of YNAB - we talk a lot on finance and debt because I never want her to be as ignorant and stupid as I have been

Bye for now
    Hi Narola,
    Yes, I am going to get the work done. I have made the appointments, no point delaying. I am keen not to delay the DF date. It’s keeping me focused and helping me make the right decisions I think.
    DS is going to study Music, and he is really looking forward to it! It really is his passion and it’s great to see him pursuing that. Thanks for the tip on Martin’s guide, I hadn’t noticed it. I will show it to him and I can see there is some good info there. And great suggestion about YNAB. It is important that we help our children to understand money and budgeting isn’t it? It’s not the most exciting subject and I do struggle to get his attention on it sometimes. But I think it does go in at some level.
    I think it’s great that you are talking to your daughter already, and that will give her a good foundation for the future.
    Aiming to early retire in April 2025 - DC pension currently £350k 
  • glass_half_full
    Options
    Had a mini success today at saving or cost avoidance at least. I rang my home insurance provider and found that they will insure DS for possessions while away at University, in fact anywhere away from home. The additional cost was only £7.32 as opposed to £100 which was the cheapest stand alone quote I had got from HSB* and Endslei*h was £123. Thanks Narola because I spotted that tip reading Martin's guide you recommended ! I owe you a :beer: or two.
  • Narola1976
    Options
    Had a mini success today at saving or cost avoidance at least. I rang my home insurance provider and found that they will insure DS for possessions while away at University, in fact anywhere away from home. The additional cost was only £7.32 as opposed to £100 which was the cheapest stand alone quote I had got from HSB* and Endslei*h was £123. Thanks Narola because I spotted that tip reading Martin's guide you recommended ! I owe you a :beer: or two.

That's fantastic GHF, great result, this is what I love about this site, people helping each other out. I have learned so much from others, what to do and what not to do LOL.
    Starting Total in September 2019 = £38287.77
    Current Total = £25534.10
    33% of debt paid off so far

Debt Free by Christmas September August July June 2023!
  • glass_half_full
    Options
    Narola1976 wrote: »
    That's fantastic GHF, great result, this is what I love about this site, people helping each other out. I have learned so much from others, what to do and what not to do LOL.

Yes, you are so right about that. Sometimes, I find reading other people's posts makes me think about something differently, it really helps.
  • glass_half_full
    Options
    Good morning diary and all,
    Its been a really busy week with us both working full time and some travel thrown in as well. This has meant that we didn’t do the weekly shop, much against my better judgement, but struggled to find time to do it. As a consequence we have been surviving on mini-shops and last night we even had takeaway :eek: although managed to keep it to £25 for four of us which is ok. DS starts at Uni next weekend, although it seems he won’t receive the maintenance loan until a few days after he registers so will need money to last him through the first few days. Overall, the budget is still balancing mainly through a bit of overspending here and underspending there. I have the dentist appointment on Monday morning for the first part of the treatment, not sure when I will have to pay for it but I guess probably after the work is completed in 2 weeks time. This weekend is busy too as it is a special wedding anniversary for the in-laws and a bit of a family gathering so events planned for today and tomorrow. Work will be busy from now until Christmas. Every day I update the YNAB budget with the spends and I find this is the only way to stay on track.
    Have great weekend all!
  • glass_half_full
    Options
    Hi Diary and all,
    I have been for the first of the two dental appointments. Interesting experience, they gave me earphones to wear so I could listen to music for the 20 minutes during the treatment. The dentist asked me, what music would you like to listen to. I was a bit stumped but I opted for Adele in the end. Now, for some of you listening to Adele for 20 minutes might be worse than having your teeth drilled, but I found her very soothing. I think I get the bill after the next appointment, that will be the most painful bit.
  • glass_half_full
    Options
    I have to go into work today, but should get away by 1pm. Tomorrow is the big day, taking DS to Uni. I need to get him a couple of things on the way home and then he should be set. I think we may find a few things missing tomorrow when we get there, but no worries I’m sure we will be able to sort it out.
    Mid-month and the budget is going ok, a bit tight and not much room for manoeuvre but should get through ok. Still resisting the morning coffee on the way to work, taking in lunch and largely resisting take-aways:o.
    Have the second dental appointment in just over a week, will have to pay out of EF. I have a plan to refill the EF over the following few months. Just don’t need any other nasty financial surprises in the meantime.
    Have a great weekend all!
  • glass_half_full
    Options
    On-line banking is not working this morning so I can’t update the budget. Two weeks left of this month and the budget is tight. A few unexpected expenses but juggling is still keeping it on track just about. I may be being a bit ambitious with the debt repayments, but I’m keeping them the same for the time being. Will need to really watch the pennies for the remaining days. I think I am going to post spends on here because previously that has helped me to stay focused.
    Today is the big day, we are taking DS to Uni! All the stuff we have gathered is piled up in the dining room. He still has to do his packing, nothing has changed on that front! He is really excited, really hope he makes some great friends and has a wonderful time there.
    Have a great day all!
  • glass_half_full
    Options
    Felt a bit flat yesterday after dropping off DS at Uni on Sunday, caught me a bit by surprise, although it has been coming for a long while its still a bit strange when it finally happens. I’m sure we will get used to it, well we will have to! I will feel better when I hear from him that everything is ok and he is settling in well.
    Spends yesterday
    Items for lunch : £1.09
    Cleaning : £25
    One more week until payday and need to keep spends under control to stay within budget.
    Have a great day all!
  • glass_half_full
    Options
    Budget is tight as we approach the end of the month. Just over a week to go and hanging on to maintain the target debt repayment. Should be ok as long as we avoid any unnecessary expenses. OH's cagoule had gone missing on the camping trip so we bought one on eb*y to replace it cost £25 and arrived last night. Seems in good condition and at least 50% cheaper than a new one of the same brand/type. Yesterday spend was a £5.15 grocery top up shop.
    Have a great money saving day all!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family