Financial Mess

I am terribly worried about my debt, all together it’s £15k, mostly through my ex partner but in my name , I stupidly believed he would pay it as promised but no and I cannot get in touch with him. One of the debts is a guarantor loan which I again stupidly agreed to be the guarantor and are starting court proceedings to obtain a decree . I have explained all of my circumstances, on ESA, single parent - I can’t see my circumstances changing anytime soon any money left over is about £10 per month . The loan is 5k , will the judge accept such a low offer? Or would diligence be granted due to it being such a low offer but my I&E is already very tight. I do not have any assists of that value.
I cannot get my head straight as to what steps to take after token payment letters as I beleive that can’t be offered for that long.
I try to phone debt charities but hang up as I feel so ashamed and stupid, can’t sleep due to all the worry even after g.p prescribed sleeping tablets.

Thank you in advance for any info

Comments

• Karonher
    Karonher Posts: 916 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If you can post here, can you contact a debt charity online and tell them what you have told us?

They wont judge you and will be able to advise you what to do.
    Aiming to make £7,500 online in 2022
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi,

They cannot take what you do not have can they.

Usually decrees/judgements have monthly payments set according to your income.

Even if they did set the payment at an unaffordable rate, you can then challenge this and get it changed, so do not worry.

The legal system is there to help both sides in these cases.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Alocee
    Alocee Posts: 3 Newbie
    Thank you for replying, I have pretty bad anxiety and a stammer which is very prominent just now I avoid phoning but maybe I can send an email
    Thank you I didn!!!8217;t think of that
  • Alocee
    Alocee Posts: 3 Newbie
    Thank you for replying , I thought I read somewhere that if the decree takes too long a time to pay they go for diligence , hence the panic as I thought if I!!!8217;ve nothing of that value what happens then.
    Thank you
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Diligence is unique to Scottish law, and I;m afraid Im not too clued up on it.

Again, one of the debt charities will be able to help, National Debtline have a live chat facility if you don;t want to talk on the phone.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Have you looked into getting a Debt Relief Order or even going bankrupt?

If you don't own any property, both are worth investigating.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure