New employer Medical Assesment :(

Options
laura818
laura818 Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 13 August 2018 at 3:37PM in Employment, jobseeking & training
Hi All,

I have received a job offer subject to medical assessment which I am due to attend in 2 weeks. Really stressed that my job offer can be withdrawn after this. What usually would have to come up for a company to withdraw their offer?

I am not on any medication or illegal substances but could the blood and urine tests bring up a medical condition I knew nothing about?!!! I am overweight so in that respect not extremely healthy but trying to change that.

it is a office based desk job so nothing manual or heavy labour involved

the company and job is amazing and I'm getting really stressed and anxious that I might loose this opportunity. Has anyone been through this before?

Help!!!!!

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Given you have 2 years before you are 'safe;, I wouldn't worry too much.

It's difficult to say what they're looking for though, without knowing the job.

e.g. driver with epilepsy
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,105 Forumite
    Options
    What's the job, and how's your health?

If its a job which could affect people's safety (train driver and you're blind for example), or you've got a condition which means you have a lot of time off sick, then you might have a problem.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • laura818
    Options
    Sorry I forgot to add, it is an office based desk job so nothing manual or heavy labour involved.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Has there been any indication of what the assessment consists of? It could be as simple as blood pressure, weight and listening to heart and lungs. Alternatively it might include blood tests to check for use of drugs.
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,105 Forumite
    Options
    laura818 wrote: »
    Sorry I forgot to add, it is an office based desk job so nothing manual or heavy labour involved.

Can't imagine why they want you to have a medical, then. If you've not got a bad back, not had any sick leave and don't have something which could entitle you to reasonable adjustments due to a disability, then you haven't got anything to worry about.

Personally if there is anything which you know won't affect your work, then I wouldn't mention it. Just bear in mind if you go down that road and it does flag up in the future, you won't have a leg to stand on.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Options
    Mattie97 wrote: »
    Make sure you wear decent underwear. I went to a medical when I was younger, and unexpectedly had to strip off to be weighed etc. Don't know why they couldn't just weigh me dressed and take a couple of kilos off for the clothes!
    You seem obsessed with underwear; hopefully the admins will tackle that issue.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Options
    Make sure you wear decent underwear.

Reminds me of having an ECG at A&E.
    I was thinking - I wish I hadn't worn this push-up bra today, I look like a stripper.
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've had pre-employment medicals for at least two office jobs - it was just standard practice for those employers for every employee to have this as part of the final recruitment process.

One was a small UK statutory body where I got a note from my GP that I was physically and mentally fit for the work and the other a multi-national where I attended a hospital appointment.
  • eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Its possible that prospective new employer has private health insurance for employees. The insurance provider won't want any surprises.
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've had this with several employers, never been an issue. Usually things like weight, questionnaire to go through (medical history), blood pressure, sometimes cholesterol check. As above could be linked to insurance risk.
    Stay off the coffee first thing/avoid caffiene, at least if my bp is high the nurse usually asks if I've had coffee that morning.

Oh and apparantely (and this could be a myth) if you eat a lot of seeded bread there is a small risk you can test positive for opiats.

Good luck though, I really doubt it is anything to worry about.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure