NHS Band 3 - Am I being ripped off?

Options

Comments

• fibonarchie
    fibonarchie Posts: 975 Forumite
    Options
    It is, but if you're asking people to investigate themselves it's a foregone conclusion..
    Signature Removed by Forum Team ..thanks to somebody reporting a witty and decades-old Kenny Everett quote as 'offensive'!!
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If the practice has someone working for them who is 'less than ideal' then they really would want to do something about it. I'm guessing this wasn't the practice owner that was seen, as very few dentists working in the NHS now do actually own the practice they're working in.

NHS contracts are now mainly held by the big PLC companies like {my}dentist (formally IDH) or Oasis or similar. If it is a smaller independent practice, then it is mostly associates doing the NHS stuff whilst the boss concentrates on private.

A complaint to NHS England is likely to take a fair old while to actually get anywhere.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you pay for band 3; that then covers all other treatment for 3 months.

Not saying you needed band 3 treatment but I don!!!8217;t think it!!!8217;s a rip off either
  • fibonarchie
    Options
    Toothsmith wrote: »
    If it is a smaller independent practice, then it is mostly associates doing the NHS stuff whilst the boss concentrates on private.

Yeah mine is like that. We paupers :D see the part time lady who does NHS work, the rest go onto DenPlan or whatever and see the more experienced one who I think owns the practice.
    Signature Removed by Forum Team ..thanks to somebody reporting a witty and decades-old Kenny Everett quote as 'offensive'!!
  • Toothsmith
    Options
    I just don't allow paupers in my building :D
    How to find a dentist.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I complained through my local health board about my NHS dentist charging for a dental repair.

I had taken it up with the practice manager who confirmed the charge was due.

I was quickly refunded the charge with a pathetic excuse from the practice manager that she knew nothing about the charge despite the fact that we had a telephone conversation when she insisted the charge was correct.
  • fibonarchie
    fibonarchie Posts: 975 Forumite
    Options
    I just don't allow paupers in my building :D

Do you have one of these?

typo-noriffraff.jpg

Can just imagine one of those outside the door of a private dental practice :rotfl:
  • Toothsmith
    Options
    Of course! :p

(I really think you would be quite surprised at the cross section of my patients! - this seam of rich folk who seek out private dental care really is a myth. More often than not the 'rich folk' are making a PITA of themselves at NHS places ' knowing their rights' and wanting everything state subsidised!)
    How to find a dentist.
  • samson164
    Options
    Complaining to the practice is a usual first step

I have emailed them a few times now, but I'm not getting any response. It's been well over a week.

I contacted NHS England and they advised me that they will contact them on my behalf as a first step.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
  • Toothsmith
    edited 8 August 2018 at 11:32AM
    Options
    samson164 wrote: »
    I have emailed them a few times now, but I'm not getting any response. It's been well over a week.

I contacted NHS England and they advised me that they will contact them on my behalf as a first step.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

That's good - at least you gave them a chance!
    How to find a dentist.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure