Options

Comments

• dustydigger
    dustydigger Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    I love Bob Skinner novels.
    Quintin Jardine's next one comes out next month.
    And another one in November!The man never stops,which is good for us,beanie lou,but he's 73 now,who knows when he will decide to stop writing.
    Were you a fan of the Oz Blackstone series? I read a few of the Oz books back,but wasnt too keen. I never bothered ordering them,only picked one off the library shelves if I saw one. And then when Oz was killed off I only tried one Primavera and didnt feel comfortable,and gave up.
    I think it must have been about 1995 that I came across Skinner's Rules in the library,and was hooked. Immediately reserved Festival,Trail and Round,and then had to settle to wait for the yearly book.Wish my fave writers could write more quickly,like the romance writers,3 or 4 a year;)
    Do you buy them or get them from the library?
    Any other authors/series that you follow devotedly?
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,308 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Dident realise QJ was 73.
    Have seen him at a few writers talks.
    I dont enjoy his other series though.
    I get my books from the library.
    I follow a lot of crime writers especially Scottish ones.
    Was a very early follower of Ian Rankin as he is a fellow Fifer & not much older than me.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • dustydigger
    Options
    Yuck,that 8 inches of snow we had melted and then its rained almost continually this week,so now the grass is just spongey and squelchy to walk on.
    I had to go out yesterday in the rain and pick up all the rubbish from our front garden. We are about a 3 minute walk away from a Subway sandwich shop,a chinese takeaway and a corner shop. So many people finish eating/drinking their stuff as they get to our garden and feel free to chuck the wrappings etc over the wall!.After 3 weeks being ill the stuff had accumulated and despite the torrential rain yesterday and the slight dizziness when bending over I couldnt stand seeing the mess any more so I picked all the stuff up,and it was then that I realized just how saturated the ground is. We are up on top of a hill,but I get the feeling some places are going to have spring flooding,more homes ruined.
    So called 100 year events seem to come every 2 or 3 years now!
  • dustydigger
    Options
    Got my new 5 year bus pass through the post,thought the govt with their ''austerity'' dogma might have changed it to paying half fare,but not so far. Probably to save money the council once again just used the same picture from the original pass,10 years ago.Hair is now grey,the slimming has thinned down the face a lot,but I still have the same hairstyle,so I am still somewhat recognizable.:rotfl:
    That pass is a boon for we wrinklies without a car on hand,it saves a fortune in bus fare each year
    Another nice bonus today was a £25 cold weather payment.:j
    Rare as hens' teeth as the temp has to get below zero for 7 consecutive days,and with our unpredictable weather,that doesnt happen often. This is only the second payment this winter!
  • dustydigger
    Options
    :T:T:j:j:beer::T:T:j:j:beer:

Woo-hoo! Since my head is finally clear I finally took the plunge to go out without using my walking stick.Thats NINE YEARS of needing it because of my terrible knees. Its 16 months since my second knee was replaced,and recovering hasnt been the easiest thing,and indeed the leg still isnt totally straight or pain free if I stand a while,but compared with the pain and reliance on a stick in the past it is wonderful.It was thought possibly I would always need a stick,but I have perservered in strengthening my legs and they are probably the best they've been for 15 years:D:D.Had to turn a little sideways and step down off the pavement with the stronger leg,but it wasnt too bad.Going up stairs still is uncomfortable and I need the rail, but honestly I feel ten years younger,not a woman old before her time.:):)
    Its been a pretty difficult month,but hopefully I can get some momentum now on the other areas of life I want to improve:beer:
  • dustydigger
    Options
    Very little left at the end of this fortnight when I emptied my purse,£4.26. Would have been £6.75,but the batteries in the TV remote gave up the ghost this morning,so I had to brave the snow to go up to the corner shop and had to pay £2.49 for 4 batteries. Normally we just get a pack of a dozen for £1 at the Pound Shop,but Mr Dusty forgot to get some before he left.:mad:
    And of course its a law of nature that we have oodles of every other type of battery but not the ones we need.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,308 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Good news on no walking stick.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • dustydigger
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Good news on no walking stick.
    Thanks beanie lou. Of course as soon as I could walk its the Beast from the East's little brother messing things up:rotfl:
    Putin doesnt need to bother with expelling diplomats etc. Sending us these Siberian snow and winds is punishment enough:rotfl:
  • dustydigger
    Options
    Mr Dusty tried to phone yesterday at 2pm but the connection was terrible. I think he said he was coming back on Monday as planned,but despite both of us shouting over each other I couldnt make out if he said he was arriving on schedule 11.20 am Tuesday. In fact I am sure he was saying Wednesday,but we had to give up talking,it was just impossible to hear.He said he would try to phone again later,so cue me sitting ever since listening for the phone:mad:
    Will have to take some gloves and a sweater to airport.He left in dry weather,around 4 degrees,and we went by daughter's car. Now it feels like -10c and we have to travel by train and bus in the snow. Oh joy:(
    Nothing going right on this trip,right to the bitter end.:rotfl:
  • dustydigger
    edited 23 March 2018 at 8:23PM
    Options
    Well,Mr Dusty got home safely on Wednesday.Already the whole house is cluttered up. He was grinning shamefacedly this morning when I pointed out that every window sill,chair,table top and bed upstairs was already covered with his stuff as he slowly sorts his cases out. Same to a lesser extent downstairs,but I am going along behind him several times a day,so I'm on top of that!:rotfl::rotfl:
    They never sorted the court case,the judge said with significant glances that the case was essentially straightforward,but he hadnt yet written his ruling. Shorthand for a bribe of course,but hard luck as Mr Dusty had no money left after having to stay in a hotel for a month.So the nightmare goes on into its SIXTH year.:mad::mad:
    Its been continuous visitors for 2 days,and I expect the whole tribe tomorrow it will be bedlam,but hope to get back to normal routine by Sunday
    The finances didnt get sorted till Mr Dusty got to the bank yesterday,and I got a home delivery from Asd@ today,so the cupboards are bulging.:)
    I will try to post this Frugal Fortnight's budget tomorrow morning if I get a chance,otherwise it will be tomorrow night after the mayhem has subsided.( and boy,cant 4 children,4 grandkids,and a baby great granddaughter really make a stir!):rotfl:
    Off now to make tikka masala in flaky pastry with broccoli in peanut butter sauce for Mr Dusty. No potatoes tonight,so easy to make,and a nice excuse to miss at least some of the football that is starting soon.......(sigh).........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure