Keeping down spending on "stuff"

Options

Comments

• sexymouse
    sexymouse Posts: 6,054 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Along the lines of pressies from boots, why not sign up to pigsback.com There is a whole thread on the freebies board about this. It's free to join, and you earn piggy points just by clicking through adverts for about 5 mins a day. All of the answers to their quizzes are kindly posted by Jules-2005 so it's really easy. The points then can be turned into boots vouchers, amazon vouchers, or whatever you choose! You can do this when you have a spare few mins. I've earned enough for a ten pound boots voucher in less than a month! It's worth a try! :)

Hope that helps you a bit.
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8/4/2011, baby boy born 26/9/2012, Angel Baby Poppy born 8/11/15, Rainbow baby boy born 11/2/2017
    £997.87/£2020
  • Mrs_Arkwright
    Options
    There's nothing to be ashamed about. Everyone makes a bad decision in their life, and you haven't done anything wrong. I think a choice has to be made - do you carry on as you are, getting further and further into debt, or admit that you're in a bit of a fix at the moment, so presents etc will have to be curbed for a bit?

I would like to think (and I'm pretty sure I'm right) that my friends and family would be supportive and helpful if I told them we were in financial difficulty, and I don't mean helpful in a 'giving me money' type way, but helpful in being understanding if we can't afford to go somewhere, or can't afford to spend hundreds on gifts for them. I would be devastated if they were 'furious'.

Surely the point of giving is the thought, not how much it costs?
    My sig's too large, apparently - so apologies to whoever's space I was taking up.:lipsrseal
  • homersimpson_3
    homersimpson_3 Posts: 1,249 Forumite
    Options
    if your level of income/money left after outgoings is less than friends stop trying to match/compete with her spending on pressies- it is the thought that counts not the amount spent- if amount spent is determining factor in friendship how good a friendship is it?
    the trick is to shop around- you can get one (or sometimes more than one) good quality present (not rubbish) for about £10. loads of free things for children to do.
  • all_hours
    all_hours Posts: 684 Forumite
    Options
    lisa_75 wrote:

My family and friends think we are well off as my husband has a very good job and we rent from the council, so our rent is very cheap. My parents especially would be furious to think we couldn't manage on the wage my husband earns. I have not told anyone about our situation as I am too ashamed.

You would be able to manage if didn't have debt, surely overspending on xmas + birthday presents over the past few years has contributed to that debt.

You can't afford to do everything. in my opinion the kids stuff - brownies and school uniform etc - should take priority. Then essential clothes for yourself, then presents and other spending on special occasions.

Do everything as cheap as possible. You can buy second hand brownie + school uniforms on ebay. You can also buy bundles of clothing for £50-70 and get nearly everything they need in one go. Woolworths often have 3 for 2 offers on school kit.
  • LookingAhead
    LookingAhead Posts: 4,633 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Lisa. Well done for coming on here and 'fessing up at least, to us how things really are.

It's really not going to be easy, and we'd all be lying if we said it was, for you to come around to a full on change of 'attitude' towards money. It virtually does take over your whole life. By that I mean you are always on the look out for ways to save or make money. On the look out for a bargain or a present that could be put away for Christmas etc.

Example: personally I usually never think about Christmas till about...December 16th or something stupid like that :rolleyes: by which time it's far too late to look for bargains and I have to panic buy which usually equates to top dollar for gifts. This year, for the first time, I have bought my first Christmas present early!! It's a fantastic big joke book for my brother-in-law and it cost me £3 from the book man at work. Perfect for him, had me in stitches whilst I was reading it so I know he will love it.

I have to say, why don't you turn this thing around with your parents and say to yourself "I'd be furious if someone was furious with me for being honest about a worsening situation I was trying to improve".

Hell, you've realised before it's way too late that something needs to be done and that is to be applauded in this debt riddled day & age. I can understand you don't want to broadcast your news all of a sudden to people - you don't have to do that. You could start planting a few seeds with people though and say things like "We've had a few unexpected bills this month so I'm going to have to pass" when you get an invite to something you can't afford (and may not want to go to anyway) and if anyone asks, you can easily say "I'd rather not go into details". They won't press further.

Those who you are close to and trust, you can confide in, if & when you are ready.

You do have to make an admission to yourself though that you can't spend a fortune on gifts etc for prides sake. I have a friend who did the same and she always had to have the latest stuff too and damn the expense. She's now at the end of her financial tether with nowhere left to turn after remortgaging for what can only be the last time. It's very sad to see someone's penny drop, way too late.

Just remember one thing........landfill sites are running out and they produce greenhouse gases......one day all that money you spend on a gift will probably end up there. So make your gifts cheaper and more thoughtful.....a cinema ticket or trip to a zoo or something. Get creative & alternative. People will envy you your talent rather than opening up yet another off the shelf toy or whatever that they've seen dozens of times before.

Last piece of advice. Scour this site for all the money saving, debt busting & freebie tips you can. It really is a change of mindset but you won't regret it I promise.

Good luck and hope to see you again soon posting progress.

xxLAxx
    Bank Balance: In the black for the moment.
    Sainsburys Loan: Cleared July 2010
    Credit cards: AMEX Airmiles Card: direct debit set to clear balance monthly
  • GardenMillie
    GardenMillie Posts: 274 Forumite
    Options
    How about making some presents? Plus get the children involved making sweets or cakes and putting them in a nice (cheap) box with a ribbon or getting them to paint flower pots and putting a little plant in. It will help keep the children busy and save you money.

When I have my friends children we always bake - they love it and we can eat it or freeze it later. Also try growing veg like spinach or courgettes in large plastic pots in the garden.

Keep an eye out in charity shops in the craft section for gifts that are cheap but look nice. Good luck it's not easy cutting back but with every month it gets easier.:D
  • LookingAhead
    LookingAhead Posts: 4,633 Forumite
    Options
    Another thought for a present (I may pop back from time to time with more ideas....;) )

Do you have a local beautician near you who operates from home or is mobile? They tend to be cheaper.

Female family & friends would probably love you buying them a pedicure or a manicure or even just a file & polish....or a waxing treatment (although careful on that....some people might think you were dropping hints! :rotfl: )

Male family & friends might like an essential oil back massage.

Think about the things your family & friends do with their spare time/how they look after themselves and see if there is something you can work with there....it doesn't have to be something you have to 'wrap'.

Check out this site as well

http://www.fun-vouchers.org.uk/

You could promise to take someone out for a pizza or do some babysitting or whatever springs to mind.

Those who love & care for you for you will be thrilled. Those who just love shiny new things with nice price tags.....frankly you can do without. ;)
    Bank Balance: In the black for the moment.
    Sainsburys Loan: Cleared July 2010
    Credit cards: AMEX Airmiles Card: direct debit set to clear balance monthly
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Options
    lisa_75 wrote:
    With the going out, how do you cope with birthdays/christenings/aniversarys /weddings? Do you just simply not go to things like this?

As for £10 on a gift, what kinds of things do you buy?

I'll usually buy toiletries, a book, a DVD or some flavoured cooking oils etc. None of our crowd are into christenings or weddings (they're all mostly already married and have chosen not to have kids), and DH and I don't generally give each other anniversary presents. I guess we're not really into giving 'stuff.'
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    The sooner you confide in your family and friends the better. You don't need to spill the beans completely, just say you are 'having to make some economies to stop things getting out of control, the children must come first' etc. You may well be surprised to find you aren't the only one struggling. Make a deal with your friend, set a price limit on the gifts you are going to exchange with her. It is, after all, the thought that counts. Your continued friendship should mean much more to her than the monetary value of your gifts - if it doesn't then dump her quick!
    Try shopping more selectively. Get yourself to Lidl or Aldi, you will be surprised at the quality of the goods and you will be amazed how much you can save. If you must shop at a big name supermarket, try own brands or Value range, look out for BOGOF's, make a list and stick to it. Do a meal plan - look on the Old Style board for loads of moneysaving inspiration.
    Best of luck :D
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I have to say, why don't you turn this thing around with your parents and say to yourself "I'd be furious if someone was furious with me for being honest about a worsening situation I was trying to improve".
    A very good point made here by LA :T
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure