Paying into AVC going over £40K (no c/fwd)

Options
Tiggy777
Tiggy777 Posts: 78 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi all

I have been paying into an AVC with Prudential through my salary (Local Government) and I have also been paying into the LGPS. Idea was to maximise my pension pot with a few years to go until retirement. I have been paying the maximum amount basically most of my salary.

Question is as this year I will go over the £40k limit with no carry forwards balances from the previous 3 years what do I pay tax on i.e.is it the amount above £40K (AVC + LGPS amounts) ?

I am tempted if possible just to keep going and I also have rental income and before contributing into the AVC I was going into the 40% tax bracket (salary+rental income) so paying the AVC meant the taxable rental income has dropped as my taxable salary was only about £4k pa.

Would appreciate any comments on this in terms I am doing the right thing going forward.

Many thanks you for any advice and your time

Regards

Tiggy

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 21 May 2019 at 1:45PM
    Options
    www.lgpsmember.org/more/aa-quick-check-tool.php

It isn't the amount of your contributions that determine your LGPS AA, it's the increase in the value of your benefits.

Above link may be of help. AA it isn't the easiest of things to get to grips with, but your LGPS should have an in-house expert you can speak to if necessary.

ADD: Your LGPS should be maintaining a list of those likely to breach the AA, and my be ahead of you if you do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure