Crowdfunding / Donations

Options
Hi Everyone - grateful for some crowdfunding tips.

I'd like to create a place to raise some money for my daughter's birthday (she wants to take a course which is somewhat beyond all of our means just now). Something where family and friends can put money towards this venture as part of a birthday gift. I've been looking at various sites such as Just Giving and others but wonder if this is a fruitless task as they'll take a percentage of the monies raised, on the other hand it's easy for people to donate into.

Does anyone have any tips? I don't like the idea of simply saving into a bank account as I'd have to give details out and then if the money was there earlier it might not be used for its intended purposes.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• jlemaitre
    jlemaitre Posts: 299 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 May 2019 at 4:14PM
    Options
    Is it not possible to get a job yourself, Or work extra hours(if you have a job) to provide for your family. Of course you could get a second job.

This is the best bet for some money injection into your bank account.

On the other hand, if you want to go, A bank can create an account in her name and she has access to, where family and friends can put money into. All they need it the acc. No and sort code. its not like it'll be a pointless task as i'd guess creating a fund me page will just pay the money into a bank account anyway(i've no idea how these pages work).
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Set up a PayPal money pool, then any friends or family can pop a little money in here and there. You won't be able to earn any interest on it, though.
  • katjenlou
    katjenlou Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 15 May 2019 at 6:42PM
    Options
    jlemaitre I already work all the hours I can as a therapist and admin assistance, we're talking about a sum I don't currently have. Thanks for the suggestions otherwise ......
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,286 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    katjenlou wrote: »
    Hi Everyone - grateful for some crowdfunding tips.

I'd like to create a place to raise some money for my daughter's birthday (she wants to take a course which is somewhat beyond all of our means just now). Something where family and friends can put money towards this venture as part of a birthday gift. I've been looking at various sites such as Just Giving and others but wonder if this is a fruitless task as they'll take a percentage of the monies raised, on the other hand it's easy for people to donate into.

Does anyone have any tips? I don't like the idea of simply saving into a bank account as I'd have to give details out and then if the money was there earlier it might not be used for its intended purposes.

Thanks in advance!

Giving out bank account details is perfectly safe and I am rather concerned that you seem worried about 'friends and family' somehow using this information against you?

if however you mean you are actually intending to go further afield and ask strangers to contribute then it is best to use a proper site, even if a percentage is held. However, be warned that asking for donations publicly often gets picked up on slow news days and rather vilified in the press. I've seen a few instances where people have asked for public money for things and the time the press get hold of it the whole thing gets twisted and becomes something that can really backfire badly on the family.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • katjenlou
    Options
    I was just really looking for a centralised place to hold donations that was easily accessible to friends and family, without financial penalties.... intrigued that the thread has invited some interesting comments about a) my work and b) my security. Perhaps I used misinterpretable words from the off, apologies if I've confused people a little! I wasn't aware of a paypal pool so thanks for that most useful recommendation. I'll switch off replies now if I can!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure