Mystery Shopping and Tax

Options
Hi I am not sure if I am posting under the correct thread.
I basically complete one or two mystery shopping assignments every 3 months. I earn a fees between £3 to £5 and reimbursement. The reimbursement is not always enough to cover what I need to spend such as at restaurants etc... I also use my car to get to the place and back. If I register for self assessment, how much am I looking to pay in tax and NI. I work fulltime and earn over 25K. I am basically working out if it is worth the hassle and don't want to be caught out. I also fill in surveys and get £20 voucher every 3 months.

Any inputs are appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Larac
    Larac Posts: 945 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi I am not sure if I am posting under the correct thread.
    I basically complete one or two mystery shopping assignments every 3 months. I earn a fees between £3 to £5 and reimbursement. The reimbursement is not always enough to cover what I need to spend such as at restaurants etc... I also use my car to get to the place and back. If I register for self assessment, how much am I looking to pay in tax and NI. I work fulltime and earn over 25K. I am basically working out if it is worth the hassle and don't want to be caught out. I also fill in surveys and get £20 voucher every 3 months.

Any inputs are appreciated.

Thanks

If you are earning less than £1000 PA for this type of works (Fees+expenses) then you don't need to go through self assessment. Government brought this in so hobbyists, and people who let the odd room or did the odd bit of work were not subjected to the fully monty hmrc SA process. Check the Hrmc site for further details.
  • infinitywar
    Options
    Many Thanks for your reply and I have referred to HMRC website. That put my mind at ease.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure