Can I get this CCJ removed from my file?

Options
Hi everyone,

I maxed out a credit card in 2014, which led to a CCJ in May 2018. Unfortunately, I had moved several times at that point and they sent all the correspondence (including about the initial default) to an old address. I found out about the CCJ in July 2018. I have now paid it off, however as I didn't pay off within one month, it shows on my credit file.

I have heard - and I don't know whether this is accurate - that I can apply to the court to have it removed from my record given that I didn't receive the notice of the hearing, or attend the hearing. Does anyone know whether this is the case and if it can be done, what my next steps are?

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,886 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,
    What you are referring to is a “set aside application”, you would normally do this before payment of the judgement, not after, so you are too late now, as payment of the judgement is also acknowledging the judgement was correct and owed.

A set aside costs £255.00 and you need to have a defence with a reasonable chance of success. Non receipt of court papers may have been sufficient to be successful, your only other option now is to contact the creditor and see if they will agree to a set aside by consent, you will still have to pay the fee.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • uplock135
    Options
    Thank you.
    I can't find a lot of information online on set aside by consent. Is there a form I need to fill in?
    I assume my next step is to contact them and ask if it's something they are willing to do.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    uplock135 wrote: »
    Thank you.
    I can't find a lot of information online on set aside by consent. Is there a form I need to fill in?
    I assume my next step is to contact them and ask if it's something they are willing to do.

If you moved and didn't inform your creditors of the change of address you have no chance of a set-aside being granted.

And as sourcrates says, you'll need a viable defence against paying the debt, which it appears you don't have..
  • uplock135
    Options
    Ok
    I don't see how I could have possibly known to inform a company I had no idea were handling the debt. It passed from the original company, to another, to another, and at that point I had lived in three different places and had been homeless for a period of time. The CCJ is from X on behalf of Y for money owed to Z. I had no idea who was handling it and would have had no idea who to contact.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    uplock135 wrote: »
    Ok
    I don't see how I could have possibly known to inform a company I had no idea were handling the debt. It passed from the original company, to another, to another, and at that point I had lived in three different places and had been homeless for a period of time. The CCJ is from X on behalf of Y for money owed to Z. I had no idea who was handling it and would have had no idea who to contact.

If you had informed the original debtor of your chsnge of address that would have been forwarded on. Lets be honest.....you maxed out the card and had no intention of notifying them of your change of address. That decision bit you on the backside and you have a bad credit history because of it.
  • User_101122
    Options
    You're unlikely to succeed here. The court is only likely to set aside a claim for non receipt of the claim forms, where there is a reasonable prospect of you defending the claim.

In this case you don't have a defence as you've already satisfied the claim.

It's going to be up to the creditor as to whether they remove the CCJ. Some do and some don't.

The fact that you've effectively done a runner with their money isn't going to do you any favours I'm afraid. Chalk it up to experience, learn from it and move on.
  • WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    edited 23 October 2019 at 6:49AM
    Options
    You can have your credit report corrected if the information is inaccurate. It is a right under the Data Protection Act 2018. But you'll have to be specific as to why it is incorrect.

https://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/questions/askjames308.html

The other thing you can do short term is write to your MP to seek a change in the law. Too often debt purchasing companies use default CCJ's as a way of boosting their profits rather than trying to trace an individual first. Sometimes a default CCJ can be for very small sums. The Ministry of Justice was concerned enough to seek a consultation prior to the law being changed (see page 14). Perhaps with Brexit over, your MP can get back to doing something on this issue

https://consult.justice.gov.uk/digital-communications/default-county-court-judgments-2/supporting_documents/defaultcountycourtjudgmentsconsultation.pdf
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
  • uplock135
    Options
    I haven't done a runner with their money. I paid it back, albeit slightly less than the original amount owed because that's what I had, so I offered it, they agreed, and I paid it.
  • WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Options
    they agreed

Did they agree to accept it as F&F or partial. Really a key issue. See Pinnel's case

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinnel%27s_Case
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
  • uplock135
    Options
    They agreed to take it as full and final.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure