Best gel for tongue ulcer?

Options
I managed to catch my tongue between my teeth and give it a good bite the other day. Now there is a large sore ulcer in the spot where I did it, making it painful to eat . Any patent remedies or OTC meds recommended?

Comments

• Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,075 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Ulcers are one of those 'Treat it and it's gone in a week, don't treat it, it's gone in 7 days' things!

There are a few things out there that can either put a cover on them to make them less painful, or will numb the area a bit for a few minutes making eating more comfortable.

But on the tongue, the movement is likely to make any covering medication come off really quickly, and the numbing ones don't last very long, and numb quite a wide area.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I agree with Toothsmith, nothing stays on for very long! A little spot of Bonjela teething gel is helpful if it's really sore.
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • venomx
    venomx Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Warm saltwater is what I use
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,617 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Gengigel is brilliant.

If you are careful about not drinking or eating for a little while after applying you shouldn't have many issues with it staying on.

It should soon start to help and make eating more comfortable for you.
  • wazza99
    wazza99 Posts: 370 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The only Ulcer treatment ive ever found that makes a noticeable difference is Oral Medic. Three caveats though.

1. Its quite expensive and hard to get on the high street.
    2. Im not sure if you could use it on your tongue ? tho i use it on all other ulcers
    3. It hurts like holy hell, pain nothing like it ! but it does stop Ulcer pain within minutes.

i believe its a kind of acid that cauterises the ulcer .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oralmedic-Mouth-Ulcer-Treatment-0-2ml/dp/B0015X5ZW4/ref=sr_1_1?adgrpid=53985679140&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9pDpBRCkARIsAOzRzisPXrhCvjo4kav-iRFipCuBbQND0KgeMR82a_cPBnmGzsx0kV9T-2UaAoxgEALw_wcB&hvadid=259047284060&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9046343&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=10047196880706518086&hvtargid=kwd-323395238314&hydadcr=170_1786935&keywords=oralmedic&qid=1562662008&s=gateway&sr=8-1
  • Toothsmith
    Options
    That one is actually pretty good - and I'd agree with all the above. I'd also think it wouldn't be that good on the tongue due to the way it moves about. (The tongue, that is!)

It's not one I recommend on this site though, as it is dear, and I've not enough experience of it to say it's good enough to justify the cost.
    How to find a dentist.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
  • wazza99
    wazza99 Posts: 370 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My personal experience for gum ulcers is it is the only true remedy to shorten the length of healing from 1 to 2 weeks to minutes (to stop pain) the ulcer actually heals over a few days.

Unlike other topicals that just numb for a a few minutes, there used to be another called Bonjela once but its no longer on sale.

Saying that, i find it so outstandingly painful to apply, i reserve it for only the biggest baddest ulcers, 1 week of normal pain can sometimes be less than 30 secs of Oral Medic !!
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone who gets repeated ulcers should discuss them with a dentist.

They can be a sign of many different conditions or of no significance at all. However before launching into over the counter treatments please show your dentist. They may want you to undergo some simple tests to rule out any underlying cause.
  • Space_Orbit
    Space_Orbit Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    I used to suffer from repeated mouth ulcers - at one point I was prescribed a steroid cream by my dentist.

However, by far the best treatment I always recommend is, before bed, using a garlic clove, cut it in half (no need to peel) score the cut surface and squeeze slightly so some of the garlic liquid is released, then hold the clove over the ulcer for 20 second or so.

It will really sting at first, but it is a strong antiseptic and the ulcer will disappear in 2 days.

I now very seldom have mouth ulcers.
  • Toothsmith
    Options
    Or 'nocturnal relationships' :D
    How to find a dentist.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure