Should I be more worried?

Hi,

Since posting here for the first time a couple of months ago, I have found this forum to be a huge support, however I do wonder if my attitude towards my situation is problematic.

I see people posting on here with far less debt that me and they are worried, stressed, not sleeping etc. Despite owing in excess of 60K, I just don't feel worried about it to anywhere near this degree.

Don't get me wrong, I am committed to getting rid of the debt and having a plan in place is certainly a reassurance, but in terms of feeling stressed, or having sleepless nights.... no, I am afraid not!

I am certainly not bragging... in fact the only thing I am worried about it my lack of worry!!!!!

My husband is slightly more worried than I am, but he is more of a worrier in general. I just feel like we have a plan in place so it;ll all eventually be ok!

Do I need to change my attitude?

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    As long as you have a sensible plan you're both committed to, that's the important bit. If you've got a secure job (for example) then it is likely to be less stressful than for someone whose employment is more at risk.
    The only concern would be if things started to slide and you found yourself spending a bit more on things not in the budget. Or you didn't have an emergency fund and the unexpected happened.
    Good luck with your plan moving forwards.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,834 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 May 2018 at 12:33PM
    No, your attitude is just fine, in fact I wish more people would approach there debt problems in such a practical way.

I think with a lot of people its a fear of the unknown, most have never missed payments before, and they simply do not know what to expect, they see a bailiff on the telly, and that's it, imagination goes into overdrive.

I, much like yourself, was not worried to that extent either, I try to be practical and research things I know little about, and so that`s what I did.

I`d get frantic calls from debt collectors, who talked so fast, and so loud, and were so rude, i swear they were on something, i just calmly asked them to put everything in writing and hung up.

There is always a solution to a debt problem, be it a DMP, DRO, IVA, or Bankruptcy, and once you know that, then what is there to fear ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Ten years ago I worried myself enough to sell my house and go on a DMP. This time my attitude is so different , I have a budget , I save for things now . I still live and enjoy life , but all without a credit card( apart from tickets to Oz ) .

I wish I had been like you 10 years ago , I would probably have kept my house and I only had £15k of debt. As long as you have a plan and follow it through I think your attitude is right.

Good luck with clearing yours.
  • duskerwho
    duskerwho Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    I think as long s your calmness doesn't translate to complacency there's no problem at all. If you're thinking about it rationally and have a plan that you stick to that works, that can only be a good thing.
  • Slytherin
    Slytherin Posts: 57 Forumite
    I was BESIDE myself at one point but now I'm fairly chilled. It's mainly due to learning things from this forum and ultimately realising that panicking offers me NOTHING in terms of a solution to my problems. What's done is done, as long as you have a plan then everything's ok.
  • Larac
    Larac Posts: 945 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I have been on a DMP for the last 6 years, with about a year to go. I think early on, I focused very heavily 'on the debt' - but as the 'years' go on I treat it as 'another' DD from my account - I felt I needed to get a perspective on this as life goes on and having recently lost my last parent, this has brought this all very heavily into perspective. The whole DMP has been a very painful lesson but thankfully light at the end of the tunnel.
  • I think your attitude is fine. One word of caution though is what happens if something unexpected happens? Car breaks down? Washing machine needs replacing etc. Can you budget for that? Would it derail you? Would you both be able to cope with this emotionally/mentally as well as financially?
    Savings as of April 2023 Savings account - £26460.50(14474.88)Current account - £2140.24(4576.79)Total - £28600.74(19051.67) £1010 (£65pm CS/BS) £250 CS/BS/JS
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    As long as you know why you have that level of debt and it has not just built up on general living expenditure AND you have a sound plan in place to clear it over a reasonable period then your debt should not worry you.

The reason many people on this forum worry about their debt levels is that they have been using credit to live and to pay interest on other debts, i.e. borrowing from Peter to pay Paul.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • mandi80
    mandi80 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Thanks for all of the responses.

I think that my husbands main source of worry is due to him wondering what other people would think if they knew about our debts.

I think differently about this. Whilst I don't share details of our finances with friends and family, I also think that it's none of their bl**dy business! I don't expect them to share details of their finances with me!!!

My husband thinks that we are in the minority regarding our level of debt. I agree that our debts are higher than most, however I'm sure that there must be thousands of other people owing 50K+
  • We have high levels of debt (at its worst it was equal to gross household income) and I've had a couple of very major wobbles, but for the most part I am now pretty calm and things are ticking along smoothly and in the right direction. Out of the pair of us, I'm definitely the worrier - my husband is incredibly chilled out about it all. Nobody knows our level of debt except us, and the sky is not falling on our heads. Things will be extra tight until the end of Feb when two major commitments come to an end; if we can get to that point without major disaster befalling us, then I will be able to breathe a lot more easily.
    Debt-free August 21, Mortgage-neutral April 24
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport