Tax on second part time job

Options
I'm currently working 10 hours a week term time only in a kitchen... (so only work 36weeks a year)

I'm thinking of doing another job which is 7.5 hours a week doing home care..

So will be doing 17.5 hours a week

Will I be taxed on the second job?

(Single mum able to only work school friendly hours)

Comments

• bspm1
    bspm1 Posts: 332 Forumite
    Options
    Hall139 wrote: »
    I'm currently working 10 hours a week term time only in a kitchen... (so only work 36weeks a year)

I'm thinking of doing another job which is 7.5 hours a week doing home care..

So will be doing 17.5 hours a week

Will I be taxed on the second job?

Yes you will, what you need to do is telephone the Tax Office and get your tax code split, this will allow you a portion of your free pay to be allocated per Employer.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Youre liable for tax, the reality is you probably wont pay any.

Assuming youre on or close to minimum wage your earnings will be well within the tax free allowance and as such no tax will be owed (youll need to be on £13+ per hour before you start being deducted tax).

Itll take a while to get sorted unless your particularly pro active with HMRC so expect one or both jobs to tax you whilst it all gets sorted over a a few pays. You should be able to recover any tax paid that isnt owed (ie all of it)
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You also won't pay any NI on either job, although the bad news is that you probably don't earn enough in either to qualify for NI credits.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    You also won't pay any NI on either job, although the bad news is that you probably don't earn enough in either to qualify for NI credits.
    Hall139 wrote: »
    But hopefully should be getting them through child benefit ;)
  • Satrdayboy
    Satrdayboy Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Is it possible to talk to someone in the tax office, my son is in a similar position, ie 2 jobs. Or does it need to be done online. Thanks
  • beckysheffield
    Options
    Satrdayboy wrote: »
    Is it possible to talk to someone in the tax office, my son is in a similar position, ie 2 jobs. Or does it need to be done online. Thanks

He can claim at the end of the tax year which might be helpful if he’s still living at home ;)
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Your son can phone them. Find the number online and call as soon as they open in the morning otherwise he'll be in a queue for ages. I've always found them very helpful.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options

Yes, jut before 8am is apparently a good time to call going off the threads on here ;)

Before he calls he should try and work out how much he expects to earn in each job during the current tax year as this will usually be needed when working out how to split his Personal Allowance between jobs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure