PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Simple ways to cook chicken and fish

Options
Hi, my main meals are based on chicken and fish. I also like mince and have started to make a lasagne which I freeze in portions and have one each weekend as opposed to the ready made ones I used to buy.

However, during the week I tend to eat more fish and chicken but am stumped on ideas. I work full time, live alone, so don't want any complicated recipes, it has to be quick and easy. I am paranoid about chicken being undercooked. Fish cooks pretty quickly but I never feel full when I've eaten it. I usually do chicken in the slow cooker because then I know its well done when I get home.

Any ideas on how can I make the meals more interesting?

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    if you like chicken fillets but are scared about grilling them or frying them, butterfly them and use a rolling pin to flatten them out till the same thickness. You can bash into them herbs and spices to jazz them up or breadcrumb them to ring in the changes

Jamie Oliver does some lovely 15 or 30 minute meals using fish and chicken. Use them for inspiration ( I do) You don't have to follow every recipe to a tee, but let it give you ideas

How quick do you want a meal in front of you? I usually spend 30 mins in the kitchen weekdays, even if Im doing a roast, 30 mins prep is all thats needed max. I find something else to do whilst its cooking, I don't need to watch it cook
  • Wicked_Lady
    Wicked_Lady Posts: 630 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I often use sweet chilli sauce so would put some on a piece of salmon, wrap it in foil and oven bake whilst also cooking some roasted vegetables, such as peppers, courgettes, red onion.
    The same can be done with chicken, which would be sliced thinner to cook more quickly.

Stir fries are quick and easy for chicken dishes.

Do you eat eggs, as in omelettes, as they could be a quick and easy meal for you?

I'm sure others will come along soon with far better ideas.
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    What about a tray of roasted veg such as peppers, onions, courgettes, new potatoes, herbs a little oil and a chicken breast/thigh all roasted in the tin together. Stuff some goats cheese in the chicken, wrap in bacon and bake.
    Chicken curry, piri piri chicken.

With fish I slice up some cherry tomatoes, put in an oven proof dish, put fish fillet on top, top with breadcrumbs mixed with feta cheese, herbs and a little olive oil and lemon. Bake until it's cooked.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Citygirl1 wrote: »
    Hi, my main meals are based on chicken and fish. I also like mince and have started to make a lasagne which I freeze in portions and have one each weekend as opposed to the ready made ones I used to buy.

However, during the week I tend to eat more fish and chicken but am stumped on ideas. I work full time, live alone, so don't want any complicated recipes, it has to be quick and easy. I am paranoid about chicken being undercooked. Fish cooks pretty quickly but I never feel full when I've eaten it. I usually do chicken in the slow cooker because then I know its well done when I get home.

Any ideas on how can I make the meals more interesting?
    What else do you serve with the fish?
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Last night I had chicken in pitta bread with cucumber and tomatoes. it took 10 mins max to cut the chicken into strips, toss it in some seasoning (I used salt, pepper, garlic granules but any herbs or spices you fancy will do) and cook it. While the chicken was sizzling in the pan I toasted the pitta, chopped the toms & cue, put it in the cut in half pitta, shoved in some mayo, put the chicken on top, all done and delicious.

Another quick favourite is stir fry. Chop up some veg and thin strips of chicken again, toss in pan until veg and chicken is cooked, throw in noodles for a few mins. You can add all sorts of spices to vary the flavour of the stir fry.

It's really, really hard to undercook small strips of chicken.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • buildersdaughter
    Options
    Chicken thighs are cheaper than breast & I think tastier, although they do take a bit longer to cook.
    Basic meal:
    Any bread, or jacket (or boiled new) potatoes - do 'wedges' if the oven is on
    Salads of any kind, or roast veg
    meat / fish / tofu - rubs / marinades- look up a few recipes and try your own
    dressing - oil & lemon, mayo, chilli sauce, or try your own.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,516 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If the possibility of undercooked chicken bothers you, why not get a cooking thermometer?
  • buildersdaughter
    Options
    I use a meat thermometer a lot
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Try to prep meals at the weekend , there's loads of videos on u tube etc.
    If chicken is chopped either in cubes or strips it's easy to fry, add seasoning or curry sauce , pasta sauce can be eaten with potatoes or chips or rice for a change from pasta, to check chicken is cooked lift a thick piece out of pan an cut through to check it's not pink.
    Fish will cook in a couple of mins in microwave, if you cook extra veg on Sunday, they can be cooled quick and kept in fridge or freezer for reheating on week days.
    Also fish wrapped in foil can be steamed in the pan with your potato and veg, I pinched that tip from cooking for 1 thread!!! Just place the foil parcel on top of the cooking veg. Put lid on , done.
    Pesto red or green is great for livening up both chicken and fish. Or stirring through potatoes.
    Smoked paprika, or fajita seasoning is lovely on chicken.
    Hairy bikers do a lovely paprika chicken, with tinned tomato .
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Aldi do some hot smoked salmon fillets, some different flavours, lime and chilli, and black pepper some need cooking others can be eaten hot or cold, I use these and they're lovely with pots and veg a bit of sauce on the side tartare usually. But I also flake them through pasta lovely!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure