Pension credits etc

Options
I took my state pension as a single person at the age of 60 and continued to work part time until now, 5 years later.

However, my partner (opp sex) who hasn't worked for umpteen years, nor claimed any benefits but worked on the house, got lung cancer last year and is so depressed and scared that I think I must retire to be with him and cheer him up.

Ha Ha, I think the various miniature pension schemes outside the state scheme which I have will come to just over £15000, so I can't take them in cash and do a runner.

We have a lodger, a bit iffy as she may want to move and buy a place soon.

My partner was given a note by his doctor to say it's unlikely he'll work again, he is still only 56.

What I need to know is:

1) How do I approach the DWP to ask to receive pension at the couple rate, I don't think we have to rush off and get married.

2) The rate including SERPS that I'm due to get a huge rise to in April is just over £125 a week-I have a horrible feeling that takes us out of pension credit. That means council tax benefit as well, which means we can't take our beasties to the PDSA but have to go to a hugely expensive vet. There are too many to insure.

3) What's the position with the lodger's payments for accommodation and utilities? She pays for room, electricity etc., at a flat rate.

I dislike telling lies, it is fraud anyway, but I want to ensure some reasonable comfort while my chap is alive, which I hope will be for a good few years yet.

Comments

• EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to hear of partner's problems :(
    AUNTMAGPIE wrote:
    I think the various miniature pension schemes outside the state scheme which I have will come to just over £15000, so I can't take them in cash and do a runner.

The rate will rise a bit this year, suggest you check.It ought to be possible to cause the pensions to lose a bit of their value if necessary. ;)
    My partner was given a note by his doctor to say it's unlikely he'll work again, he is still only 56.
    1) How do I approach the DWP to ask to receive pension at the couple rate, I don't think we have to rush off and get married.

I don't think you can do this, first because he's too young, and second because AFAIK it's only women who retire after 2010 who can get reciprocal benefits for their male partners.At present it's only one way (but do check) . He should be claiming benefits anyway.
    [2) The rate including SERPS that I'm due to get a huge rise to in April

I'm a bit confused.Have you not been claiming your state pension?Where is this "rise" coming from?
    ... is just over £125 a week-I have a horrible feeling that takes us out of pension credit.

Think you're right.

3) What's the position with the lodger's payments for accommodation and utilities? She pays for room, electricity etc., at a flat rate.[/quote]

This money is tax free, unsure of impact on means-tested benefits.

Suggest you pay a visit to the MSE benefits board and the CAB.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • AUNTMAGPIE
    AUNTMAGPIE Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    I know he should be claiming benefits, but we've muddled on and not needed to while I was working.

I just want to get as much as possible from a grateful nation, :rolleyes: I've worked hard and paid my taxes etc!

I claimed Income Support for him during a period of unemployment in 1992, but maybe the rules have changed since then. Help! 15 years ago! How time flies when we're having fun!;)
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Options
    AUNTMAGPIE wrote: »
    I know he should be claiming benefits, but we've muddled on and not needed to while I was working.

He wouldn't have been eligible while you were working.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • Paul1sh
    Paul1sh Posts: 43 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If he's unable to work due to ill health and he's still under the state pension age then he should be entitled to disability living allowance .Also depending on how ill he is you may also be able to claim a carer's allowance.
    "As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns; The ones we don't know we don't know."

Donald Rumsfeld
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport