Australian pension scheme - eligible for carry forward?

Options
2»

Comments

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,691 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    If the Australian schemes are recognised by HMRC then I'd have some carry forward allowance available up to my relevant earnings from the previous 3 years, unless I've misunderstood?

Needs to be a 'registered' pension scheme - and in this context, that means a UK registered scheme.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • BingoBandit
    BingoBandit Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    You are already paying an amount (nearly) equal to your salary so how are you going to be eligible to pay more?

I've used up my pension allowance for 2017/18 and 2018/19 (haven't paid anything in yet for 2019/20) but may still have a carry forward allowance of circa 8k available from the 2016/17 tax year. That's only if HMRC recognises the Australian scheme as a qualifying pension scheme, which is what I'm having difficulty in finding out. The contributions table at HL (sorry, can't post links yet) seems to indicate that the 2016/17 carry forward would still be available.
  • BingoBandit
    BingoBandit Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Marcon wrote: »
    Needs to be a 'registered' pension scheme - and in this context, that means a UK registered scheme.

Thank you, that's what I was mainly trying to find out.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    You are completely missing the point that if you have earnings (for pension contribution purposes) of £8k you can only pay £8k (gross).

Carry forward is irrelevant.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If the Australian schemes are recognised by HMRC then I'd have some carry forward allowance available up to my relevant earnings from the previous 3 years, unless I've misunderstood?

You've misunderstood:D
    You can only pay in up to what you've earned in that year. You cant retrospectively pay in for previous tax years.
    If you earned £100k a year for three years and paid in nothing for those 3 years and then in year four earned £8k, you can only pay in £8k. Your company can pay additional I don't know what the limits are on that but AFAIK they aren't related to your previous earnings.
  • grnglide
    grnglide Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    But to use any carry forward you need to be have been a member of a recognised scheme at any time before the period that is carried forward.

Is the OP wanting to use the Australian scheme as that membership as he has no other membership of a UK scheme?

If so the Australian scheme won't do but any other UK scheme will. Have you never been a member of a UK pension scheme?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure