HSBC pull out of mortgage 2 days before completion

Options
Hello

I have got myself (or have at least been put) into a bit of a pickle. And any comments or strategies moving forward are greatly appreciated!

I had an offer accepted on a house in February which was in a pretty poor condition. Initially I discussed options with my mortgage broker for a bridging loan to buy the property, but as I was tied into a fixed term mortgage with HSBC on my current flat (which would incur early repayment penalties) we decided to see if they would lend on the property. From here the timeline is as follows:

April 4th - Valuation carried out on property on behalf of and arranged by HSBC
April 16th - HSBC issue mortgage offer to myself/my broker

June 7th - Exchange of contracts (both for the sale of my flat and purchase of new house)
June 14th - Completion Scheduled

But now two days before completion HSBC are saying that the valuation report has deemed the property un-mortgagable and that they will not lend on it. HSBC are saying they did not receive the valuation report until June 4th (and have not raised this as an issue until today!). This has obviously caused a huge amount of stress and means that we will be unable to complete the purchase.

At this stage we think it will be best to continue with the completion of the sale of our flat as to not incur any penalties from this side and ensure we have some cash going forward.

- How can the bank give a Mortgage Offer without a positive valuation?

- Am I protected in any way against costs/penalties I will incur as a result of being unable to complete the purchase (at this stage around £20,000+)?

- Has anyone had any similar experiences? Both my solicitor and mortgage broker have said the situation is ludicrous.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Any idea of the reason it has been assessed as unmortgageable and is there a mechanism to challenge that?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • muhandis
    muhandis Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 June 2019 at 9:11PM
    Options
    What does the mortgage offer say about the valuation?

For instance, on my Halifax mortgage offer, under supplementary information, they confirm that "Your property valuation was completed by a surveyor."

A Barclays offer says "A valuation has been undertaken for Barclays purposes only at a reduced fee and therefore no copy will be supplied to the applicant." and "Value of the property to prepare this Offer: £xxx,xxx.00"

Does the HSBC offer say anything about it being 'conditional upon outcome of valuation' or anything to that effect?
  • milomilosh
    Options
    Within the Mortgage Offer's special conditions it states that the offer is "subject to valuation". Beyond that there is no mention of the valuation.

The reason it has been assess as unmortgagable will be in the valuation report but HSBC are apparently very cagey about anyone outside HSBC talking to the valuation team. Hopefully my solicitor and mortgage broker will be able to make inroads tomorrow and find out more; It's a Victorian property so the issues could rage from damp to more complex structural issues..
  • muhandis
    Options
    Setting aside HSBC's inordinately long delays, I don't understand how the conveyancer permitted the client to exchange without confirmation about the valuation when the offer mentions that its "subject to valuation".

I hope you find a way to minimise your losses.
    milomilosh wrote: »
    Within the Mortgage Offer's special conditions it states that the offer is "subject to valuation". Beyond that there is no mention of the valuation.
  • LRmortgage
    LRmortgage Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I too am very surprised that the Solicitor allowed you to exchange contracts with that condition in the offer.

Did they raise this with you before exchange? Did you tell them to go ahead anyway?

If they didn’t raise it with you, I’d suggest they are somewhat liable here. Obviously I don’t know the full details, but as a broker I am surprised that this has happened and would be asking questions of the Solicitor.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,968 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Did you have a survey or home buyers report? If so I would be looking at that and asking whoever undertook that to speak to the valuation department at the lender.

I am also shocked that your solicitor allowed you to exchange without explaining this risk. Usually they make sure that they have a copy of the mortgage offer before exchange.

Are you sure you have actually exchanged, rather than just having signed the papers ready to exchange?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    When you apply directly to HSBC is has a two tier system.

First it underwrites the individual and issues an offer to lend, subject to an acceptable valuation.

Then it carries out the valuation on the selected property and issues a full formal offer if it's acceptable.

It seems that someone has mistaken the former for the latter.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • muhandis
    Options
    milomilosh wrote: »
    - Has anyone had any similar experiences? Both my solicitor and mortgage broker have said the situation is ludicrous.

I was under the impression that the OP used a broker?
    kingstreet wrote: »

First it underwrites the individual and issues an offer to lend, subject to an acceptable valuation.

Then it carries out the valuation on the selected property and issues a full formal offer if it's acceptable.

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kingstreet wrote: »

Would they have instructed solicitors at the first stage? I'm not particularly familiar with HSBC, but in my experience it's rare for lenders to issue instructions to solicitors which are still conditional on underwriting/valuation points.

Solicitors will usually view the mortgage offer as the lender indicating that they're ready to lend subject to the solicitor signing off on their side. Obviously the solicitors should be checking there's nothing buried away in the offer, but the lenders aren't exactly helping matters if they fail to flag up unusual conditions.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We don't do a lot with HSBC so I was relying on my earlier knowledge of the direct route. AFAIK via the intermediary route, it works the usual way with offer issued after valuation.

Seems very odd.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure