National Insurance debt collection?

Options
Hi all. I've just received a letter from APEX Credit Management referring to an 80 quid unpaid National Insurance contribution. I have been on PAYE for 7 years and have had no notification whatsoever of any unpaid funds so am reluctant to pay anything.
Two questions, is this going to affect my credit rating and what is the correct way to deal with this?
Thanks all.

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you owed NI contributions you would be contaced by DWP, not a debt collecting agency.

Check that yu have read the contents correctly.

What does the letter actually say.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • peesemould
    Options
    You would received a letter from HMRC (Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs), not DWP.

HMRC list Apex as an approved third party debt collector.
    If left unpaid, I imagine it would appear as a debt on your credit file.

So, it may well be genuine. Have you at any point been self employed?

I would call HMRC's National Insurance helpline on 0845 302 1479, with your national insurance number and ask them.
  • CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative
    CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative Posts: 287 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi prinskipper, thank you for your query regarding National Insurance debt
    I would suggest you initially check the letter that your national insurance number is correct and if so contact HMRC and ask them to explain why there is a debt outstanding when you have been paying your national insurance through PAYE system. It is unlikely that this debt would affect your credit rating unless it went to a county court judgement. You can find more information on disputing debts at www.adviceguide.org.uk.
    Hope this is of assistance.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure