Can I cut my train fare? Commuting from Watford - London.

Options
I commute into London Euston (from Watford Junction) for uni four days a week. Two of those days are peak and two off-peak. I have a saver card. My weekly travel costs are £40. Is there anything else I can do to reduce that cost, is there a trick I'm missing?

I thought about a season ticket but considering there is no teaching in the third term (so after late March I won't need to be in London more than once a week), I don't think it'd be worth it.

Comments

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    Penguin90 wrote: »
    I commute into London Euston (from Watford Junction) for uni four days a week. Two of those days are peak and two off-peak. I have a saver card. My weekly travel costs are £40. Is there anything else I can do to reduce that cost, is there a trick I'm missing?

I thought about a season ticket but considering there is no teaching in the third term (so after late March I won't need to be in London more than once a week), I don't think it'd be worth it.

You can get an annual season ticket refunded from the point you no longer need it. There are also 1 month, 3 months or 6 month season tickets available, if any of those work out cheaper than your current weekly costs.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just to build on Spoonie Turtle's post, you can get a season ticket at a monthly rate for any period from one month to one year.

So for example, you might want to get a season ticket starting say on Monday 28th October, or when ever your first day back after this weekend is, and expiring on your last day of attendance before your Christmas break.
    Your next season ticket starting on your first day back after Christmas.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I had to do a part-time degree which required commuting from Surrey to London three or four days a week. I had to do it the hard way by going into Waterloo ticket office with a list of dates and destinations and walked out with a wad of tickets every half-term.

IIRC it worked out a lot cheaper than a season ticket.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can get an annual season ticket refunded from the point you no longer need it. There are also 1 month, 3 months or 6 month season tickets available, if any of those work out cheaper than your current weekly costs.
    My advise would be to get an odd-period season ticket to cover the exact time needed.

In fact, go beyond that and obtain a season for each term/semester, as appropriate.

An odd period season ticket can be issued for any period between one month and one year.

For example, if a new term starts after a bank holiday Monday, make the Tuesday the start date. If the term lasts for 6 weeks and the last day is a Friday then make the relevant Friday the last day of validity.

If you get a refund then there will be an admin fee; the above method avoids an admin fee and also avoids paying for some unnecessary weekends or weeks off.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,655 Forumite
    Options
    Good to see that confirmation Yorkie2.
    Please re-read post #3 above. ;)
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 844 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How Mobile are you? Watford tubestation isnt miles away and could work out cheaper?
    Those who risk nothing, Do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing
    MFW #63 £0/£500
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Options
    You also need to consider whether you would use a season ticket on other occasions to travel into London. This could make it worthwhile even if it is not the cheapest option for your uni travel.
  • rdr
    rdr Posts: 400 Forumite
    Options
    if you qualify for a railcard, look at the cost of buying daily tickets using that, with only four days a week and some of the journeys being off-peak there may be a saving.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure