IGO under 16s pass TFGM

Options
My children have to travel to and from school via bus. Stagecoach run the service and they just gave an IGO pass to prove they are under 16, this year they introduced a new process of loading their weekly ticket onto the IGO card so they can tap in and out. We pay £10 for the card, which lasts for the 5 years they are high school. My middle child's card has stopped working, it is not damaged in any way but the machine cannot read it.

I have contacted TFGM and they said I have to pay £10 for a new one! Apparently the antenna inside it is no longer working, it happens often, but they will not replace it for free! Their terms only state that you must pay for a replacement if it is lost or damaged. The travel shop confirmed that the card is pristine and has no signs of damage. She keeps it safe in her purse (unlike my eldest whose card is 5 years old, lives in her pocket come rain or shine, is bent, scratched and generally dog -eared but still functional). Andy Burnham claims to want to promote public transport use in Greater Manchester and has even provided free transport for 16-18 year olds, but they wont replace a card which is faulty. Any advice?

Comments

• Mcsuze
    Mcsuze Posts: 5 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Her card is only a year old, she is just in year 8
  • Mcsuze
    Mcsuze Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Terms and ConditionsThe igo card proves that the holder is entitled to travel at the current concessionary fare within the area of Greater Manchester.The igo card may only be used by the person whose name and photograph are printed on the card and until the expiry date shown.The igo card must be shown to the bus driver and to any other official who requests it during the journey.Proof of identity, if requested, must also be provided.The igo card is not valid if defaced in any way.Misuse may result in withdrawal of the igo card and legal proceedings may be undertaken.The igo card is issued subject to all current passenger regulations and bye-laws of Transport for Greater Manchester and the Operators on whose services it is valid for use.If you have loaded a smart product on to your igo card, then:
    -if you are travelling on the Metrolink tram service, you must hold your igo card to the touchplate of, and wait for an audible response from, the smart reader provided at the Metrolink stop (i) where you begin your journey (this is known as a ‘touch in’) and (ii) where you finish your journey (this is known as a ‘touch out’); and
    -if you are travelling on a school bus service, or a commercial bus service, the presentation of your igo card will be determined by the conditions of carriage/passenger regulations of the operator providing the bus service, but you will generally be required to touch in at the electronic ticket machine provided on the relevant bus service.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,648 Forumite
    Options
    Mcsuze wrote: »
    I have contacted TFGM and they said I have to pay £10 for a new one! Apparently the antenna inside it is no longer working, it happens often, but they will not replace it for free! Their terms only state that you must pay for a replacement if it is lost or damaged.
    I cannot see in their Terms an Conditions anywhere that it says you need to pay £10 to replace a damaged card.

The only references to '£10' that I can see is the initial purchase price and the replacement charge for a lost card.

I cannot see any mention of a fee for the replacement of a card which is damaged or no longer works.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Options
    As you’ve had to purchase this item would have though you’d be protected under consumer law.

Anyone?
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mcsuze wrote: »
    Any advice?
    Have you tried raising a formal complaint with TfGM?
    Making a complaint to TfGM
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,648 Forumite
    edited 4 November 2019 at 10:52PM
    Options
    As you’ve had to purchase this item would have though you’d be protected under consumer law.
    Yes, that is the case.

However, after six months the onus is on the consumer to demonstrate to the seller that the goods were inherently faulty.
    In other words show that the card did not conform to contract at the time of the sale, but that the fault might not have been apparent at the time of the sale. That might be difficult.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure