Choosing wines for new years eve party

Options
Hi all

We're throwing a fairly small house party this year to bring the new year in with a few family and friends. We will have a variety of spirits, cocktails, prosecco etc on offer, but we also want to have some red and white wine to offer.

But I'm cluelessness how best to choose a selection of red and whites?!?!

Cost wise, we don't want to spend a fortune on every bottle, but equally we don't want to spend very litttle and serve rubbish!

So if anyone has any advice on choosing a nice selection of 'mid-range' white and red wines I would be eternally grateful!

Comments

• Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    Aldi and Lidl do some really nice cheap wines.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5744779

This thread discusses decently priced red wines.

Also look out for the big supermarkets doing 25% off 6 bottles.
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Go into your nearest Majestic Wines - I've used them a few times for parties/events. Tell them your budget and they will suggest a few decent wines for you and let you taste them before you choose. They will also supply glasses free and take back any unopened bottles.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    TonyMMM wrote: »
    Go into your nearest Majestic Wines - I've used them a few times for parties/events. Tell them your budget and they will suggest a few decent wines for you and let you taste them before you choose. They will also supply glasses free and take back any unopened bottles.

That's very useful to know, thank you.
  • NurseMoneySaver1122
    Options
    TonyMMM wrote: »

That's really helpful thank you.

Would it be strange if I was only buying 4-6 bottles though?😳 I mean, do they cater more for people buying for large parties?? We predominantly have spirit drinkers coming but I want a wine option
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure