New house: 5 vs 10 year fix?

Options
ian310567
ian310567 Posts: 12 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 6 February 2018 at 5:04PM in Mortgages & endowments
Hi,

I have to admit I'm struggling with this decision; I'm about to take a mortgage out with Nationwide for £127,000 on a £263,000 house purchase, so a LTV of less than 50%. I'm 50 and likely to remain in this house for a long time and the monthly repayments to pay off in full over a 10 year term fit in with my budget - I'm just not sure whether to lock in to a 10 year fix and pay a bit more or go for the cheaper 5 year fix?

Options are:
10 year fix: 2.59% @ £1202.43 per month
5 year fix: 2.09% @ £1173.69 per month

So, £28.74 per month may not seem a lot for peace of mind and not having to re-mortgage again in 5 years, but over 60 months that is £1,724, plus (according to whatsthecost.com) the balance would be £790 less after 5 years - total saving of £2.5k in the 5 year period.

It is also possible that I could make further overpayments during that time. I never like paying any more interest than necessary, but at the same time am concerned at what the rate may be in 5 years time.

Question is: what would the interest rate need to increase to during the 5-10 period for the 10 year term to be the best option?

I'd also welcome opinions on what you would do in this situation.
Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!

Comments

• Mortgage_Adviser
    Options
    10 years is an extremely long period of time. Many things can happen eg health, family matters meaning you need to sell earlier. You would then be faced with potentially huge early repayment charges.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If you are clearing the balance in 10 years then the average balance in the first 5 years will be roughly 3 times the average balance in the second 5 years.
    So the breakeven point will be an interest rate of i% in the second 5 years, where
    2.09 x 3 + i x 1 = 2.59 x 4
    i = 4.09
  • stueyhants
    Options
    HSBC have much better rates at those LTVs, is there a reason to stop with Nationwide. Current 5 year fix is 1.74.
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you have the ability to overpay every month and clear the mortgage in 10 years I would look at offset mortgages and save into the offset or overpay every month.
    I would take the 5 year deal and pay off as much of the debt as quickly as possible.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,968 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    On a 5 yr deal you need to factor in what sort of mortgage rate you will get in 5 years time.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Badegg
    Badegg Posts: 29 Forumite
    edited 7 February 2018 at 1:44AM
    Options
    stueyhants wrote: »
    HSBC have much better rates at those LTVs, is there a reason to stop with Nationwide. Current 5 year fix is 1.74.

would you recommend HSBC @ 65% LTVs for 10 years too? just comparing now and i like that they dont seem to have any product fees...even if the cost turns out to be ~1k higher at end of mortgage vs TSB.

any idea if any particular bank would be more likely to allow consent to let after 5 years on a 10 year fixed? i would most likely be aiming to overpay each month by a few hundred in initial period if that makes a difference...

edit: presumably where it says e.g 0 for valuation etc, thats all included....apologies first time getting mortgage

edit2: it seems from brief research HSBC do max 4.75 income multiplier whilst TSB do 4.5....for me id need 4.75 unfortunately so guess HSBC is my best choice unless someone does more?
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    over 10 y at y5

£127k @2.09% £1202pm £65024

to pay that off in the next 5 years like the 10y fix @ 2.59% with the same payment max rate is 4.18%

play with the numbers and overpayments the actual interest totals may not be too different.

remember overpaying the higher rate saves more interest in the comparisons and narrows the gap.
  • ian310567
    Options
    stueyhants wrote: »

No reason to stop with Nationwide other than I like their customer service, but thanks for the heads up as I've now applied for the HSBC 5-year fix at 1.94% (their no fee option works out better), plus it has a further 3 months on the fixed term vs. Nationwide.
  • ian310567
    Options
    dimbo61 wrote: »
    If you have the ability to overpay every month and clear the mortgage in 10 years I would look at offset mortgages and save into the offset or overpay every month.
    I would take the 5 year deal and pay off as much of the debt as quickly as possible.
    I've gone for the 5-year option, as that is what I will try to do, i.e. overpay to reduce the term and balance owing at the end of the 5-year fixed period.
  • spaceboy
    spaceboy Posts: 1,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    On a 5 yr deal you need to factor in what sort of mortgage rate you will get in 5 years time.

How do you do that?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport