CRS - Gymbug

Options
Hello all,
I have recently recieved an email from Credit Resolution Services (CRS) regarding a membership at Gymbug from January 2013 when I was 17.
Long story short, this membership was supposed to be a Christmas gift from my mum, however she decided not to pay it after a month and since then I have moved houses quite a bit.
Fast towards to 19th July this year and I get an email from CRS saying I owe £377.22 with the usual contact us within 7 days message. I have requested a copy of said contract with the Gym as I don't remember it being £16 A month but I could be wrong as it wasn't myself dealing with the payments.
Anyone any advice on what I can do?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    See what contract evidence they provide.
  • CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    edited 7 August 2018 at 9:13PM
    Options
    You're not able to sign a legally binding contract if you're under the age of 18 (unless it's for education or for employment or 'necessities') as you were legally a minor (so it wouldn't be legally binding even if you did sign it). Have you sent them a 'prove it' letter or have you just asked for a copy of the contract?
  • Ekul
    Ekul Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    I initially asked Gymbug themselves for a copy, and surprisingly they have gotten back to me within minutes.
    The man I was taking to over email had told me that CRS is not them and it is a scam and provided me with a link to 'dontpaywonga'website to an article saying not to to lay CRS.
    I woud post the link bt as I'm new I cannot.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Ekul wrote: »
    I initially asked Gymbug themselves for a copy, and surprisingly they have gotten back to me within minutes.
    The man I was taking to over email had told me that CRS is not them and it is a scam and provided me with a link to 'dontpaywonga'website to an article saying not to to lay CRS.
    I woud post the link bt as I'm new I cannot.

Credit Resource Solutions are a UK Debt Recovery Agency, if they are contacting you they will have been asked to do so on behalf of one of their clients, in this case the gym you mentioned.

You should keep all correspondence in writing and send the provit letter to accertain your liability.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Ekul
    Ekul Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    I have set to them a 'prove it's letter as to which their reply was:

"Further to our previous correspondence, if you have valid grounds for dispute, please advise us of these in your own words.

The text you have sent to us, which we have seen many times previously, is predicated on the notion that we have ignored and failed to investigate or respond to your dispute of the debt made on valid grounds. It is, however, one of only three items of correspondence we have ever received from you in more than five years of dealing with this matter and none present any grounds for dispute.

There has been and remains, therefore, no valid grounds for dispute, and nothing for us to investigate, and thus no reason to suspend action against you."
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 9 August 2018 at 12:04AM
    Options
    Ekul wrote: »
    I have set to them a 'prove it's letter as to which their reply was:

"Further to our previous correspondence, if you have valid grounds for dispute, please advise us of these in your own words.

The text you have sent to us, which we have seen many times previously, is predicated on the notion that we have ignored and failed to investigate or respond to your dispute of the debt made on valid grounds. It is, however, one of only three items of correspondence we have ever received from you in more than five years of dealing with this matter and none present any grounds for dispute.

There has been and remains, therefore, no valid grounds for dispute, and nothing for us to investigate, and thus no reason to suspend action against you."

Utter rubbish,

Write back telling them that you do have a dispute, that they are obliged to either provide evidence of your liability when asked, or to never contact you again about the matter.

Remind them of what the FCA handbook says :

CONC 7.5.3R01/04/2014

A firm must not ignore or disregard a customer's claim that a debt has been settled or is disputed and must not continue to make demands for payment without providing clear justification and/or evidence as to why the customer's claim is not valid.

Tell them your next call will be to the financial ombudsman if they do not comply with your request.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure