PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The All New Bang on Trend Cookbook Challenge 2018

Options
1303132333436»

Comments

• Lolly_willowes
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    I got "Salt, fat, acid, heat" for Christmas but have only dipped into it so far.
    Veg wise I grow tomatoes (lots), cucumber, courgettes, broad, dwarf, french & runner beans, peas, assorted herbs, various greens like swiss chard, pak choi, mustard leaf and I'm attempting calvo nero and baby turnips this year and salad stuff like baby gems, soft leaves, radishes etc. I'm not growing chillies or fennel this year as I still have lots frozen from last year. Apart from tomatoes which I either peel & freeze or make passatta and the beans whch again I freeze excess of, I try to grow smaller amounts of the others so I don't get over run with stuff ready & needing used up. I love going out and just picking what I need for meals:D

That all sounds wonderful! I'm coming round to steal some of your greens! I tried some basic preserving in the past but hasn't been a hit for me. Sauerkraut is apparently easy to make but I ended up with moldy cabbage in a jar.
    Food that fresh doesn't need that much done to it so I bet you eat well during harvest time.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That all sounds wonderful! I'm coming round to steal some of your greens! I tried some basic preserving in the past but hasn't been a hit for me. Sauerkraut is apparently easy to make but I ended up with moldy cabbage in a jar.
    Food that fresh doesn't need that much done to it so I bet you eat well during harvest time.
    The odd chutney. pickled veg and annual bramble vodka is as far as it goes for me in the preserving/pickling department. Otherwise if it gets used or frozen. It's a short growing season here so I like to make the most of the fresh stuff. :D Please feel free to steal my greens before the slugs & snails do....:mad:
  • Lolly_willowes
    Options
    I had an allotment briefly but couldn't keep it up on my own with my shift pattern and slugs and snails didn't get me but pigeons! I came back once to see that they had uprooted all my beetroot but didn't like the taste so left the carnage for me to find.
    I now eat pigeon occasionally as revenge!
    Have you seen the books on small batch preserving? I always think I want to try it but most are American books and they are crazy obsessed with botulism and they make me nervous.
    Also if I bring some homage limoncello wanna share your bramble vodka ;)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Also if I bring some homage limoncello wanna share your bramble vodka ;)
    It's deal:D
  • Lolly_willowes
    Options
    A burrito bowl meal prep today from budget bytes website. I liked her homemade taco seasoning that she recommended also on the site. One of the listed ingredients was salsa so I made one from thomasina miers Mexican food made easy.
    I liked how many veg were included and now my freezer is full to capacity so I will have to start properly eating from it again soon.
    Some leftover rice will be made into egg fried rice later in the week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure