PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style Daily Wednesday 8th August 2018

Options
This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning

Comments

• Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning everyone :wave:

Off out with my niece and nephew this morning for the day. I’m really looking forward to it. It isn’t often that I get to go out with them both together because of their different schedules. I’m not sure where we are going, my niece said that they wanted to keep it as a surprise. Wherever we are going I’m sure I will enjoy myself.

As it is supposed to cool down from today I will make an effort to catch up on the housework tomorrow.

Specky the sleeping is almost non-existent since the hot weather. I am getting about three hours in total at the moment so not good. I’m sure that it will improve a bit when it cools down though.

AOD the seafood casserole was lovely and like you, it is very much my type of meal. I really love seafood and this had salmon, cod, scallops, monkfish, prawns and muscles in a rich tomato sauce.

Thinking of the TAs.

Csarina I hope that they manage to your OHs scan today so that he will be a step closer to finding out what is wrong.

Gers I hope that your mum got home as planned and is well settled at home.

Silver-oldie hopefully your OHs Blue Badge will turn up soon.

You are so right Lainey, tea and cake so help with convalescence. I hope that your DSIL was up to going out and that you had a good time.

Snoozer it must be hard for your OH being in this kind of limbo, not having a definitive diagnosis. Hopefully you can both keep busy for the next 4 to 6 weeks while you are waiting.

Poppy that seems like a sensible plan.

I hope that you all have the best day possible everyone.
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone :hello:
    I couldn't sleep for worrying about things that are out of my control, plus it is still too hot to be comfortable so I thought I would get up, have a cup of tea and post on here.

I wanted to say Congratulations Nanny Elona, hope mum and baby are doing well xx
    poppy, the new drug treatment sounds a lot more bearable for you than chemo, hope it goes well xx
    snoozer, I have everything crossed for you and Steve xx
    gers, hope your mum is home now and more comfortable xx
    csarina, also hope they get to the bottom of your DH's problems while he is in hospital and that you manage to get some rest too xx
    Sending hugs to the TA's xx

I have to take some chicken out to defrost for tea tonight. I have a couple of jars of sauce to use up so that will be a nice easy tea to make with some rice. Lee has promised to do some baking too which is bad for my waistline but good for his mental health. I shall just limit myself to a tiny taste so it shouldn't be too calorific.

I am still waiting for my cross stitch kits to come from the USA. They cleared customs on the 3rd but there is still no sign of them. Hopefully they will turn up today so I can get cracking. I am off out today with my lovely cmht lady so I can pick up a new magazine from WHSmiths. I also need to get my glasses repaired if possible as I have lost one of the nose pieces and they are very scratchy to wear now.

Hope you all have a good day whatever you are up to, take care xx
  • nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 August 2018 at 7:14AM
    Options
    Morning everyone

hollyharvey - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Cloudy with sun trying to break through, much cooler, although it was really muggy during the night.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly, not sure what his plans are for today.

Dinner last night was egg, bacon, sausage, mushrooms, fried new potatoes and beans, ice cream for dessert. Tonight will be roasted chicken portions, mash, veg and gravy for the menfolk, I'll be having the roasted chicken with veg and jacket potato or a mixed veg. I've started a diet class last night as I want to get my head back in the game as I've put on a little weight and want to stop it before it gets out of control, target weight has been set and that's lower than I was before so we'll see how I get on with this. I've just eaten my breakfast and I'd never normally eat that much! I have my lunch already sorted and I know that's ok.

Work yesterday wasn't as busy but still had problems with the cash machines, then they managed to sort it mid morning, so hopefully things are settling down. My longer day again today, then on days' off but working again Saturday.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hi all :)

Lovely blue sky again today a lot cooler though which should keep the weather moaners happier :rotfl:

Great day yesterday and my 3 delegates were a pleasure to work with. Not site training today but do have a fair bit to do from home. Going to nip out for a cheeky lunch with one of my besties as we have both been really busy so need a catch up as you do.

Finished my pizza for tea last night and probably wont bother with anything tonight. As predicted my packed lunch had gone by 11 yesterday :o Don't know what it is about them but its like they call to me from my bag...eat me eat me. Its probably because its a rare treat for me but I now really want one of these lovely cool bag lunch bags with different sections for extra treats ....I know small things :D

Hoping Mr TA is OK seems a while since TA posted and I know yesterday was results day.

Right going to crack on to buy some lunch time for later. Have a great day all
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

Been raining most of the night but its stopped now and we are in for a nice day although not as hot as before its only in the low 20's today so not the scorching hot we have had.

Off to work today and its birds of prey today so im not sure how busy it will be.

Dinner tonight is a mixture of some chicken coated in tika rub with a packet of sausages I found in the back of the freezer and a use up of all the old veg in the fridge such as mushrooms and courgettes and some mash, a right mix up but I am trying to empty the fridge and freezer a bit.

General tidy round needed tonight and I must put a wash on.

Snoozer what a shame you now have a long wait of a definite diagnosis x

Cers hope mum got home xx

TA hope everything is ok xx

Have good days all xx
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning all.

DM arrived home :j at about 10.00am, without any meds or discharge letter. Was told 'they'll follow by taxi'. Well, I think they stretched the understanding of 'follow' by a mile - meds arrived at 5.30pm, and then there were two items missing.

DM stayed out of bed all day and walked about the flat a fair bit on her own :j before having had enough by 9.00pm. She also ate well which is a relief.

Today we are marooned. The European Cycling time trials have meant a huge number of road closures in the west end and city centre. I've no idea how people will get to work, no mail deliveries, district nurses have planned walking routes and re-arranged appointments etc.

There's food in the fridge and stuff in the freezer. No shopping needed.

My thoughts are with all the poorlies. I hope Wednesday is kind to everyone.
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    Options
    Good morning all, I've been up for a while but have been cleaning up after my DS who likes baking in the small hours. He has made delicious doughnuts and although he put away nearly all the ingredients, left me the washing up. And icing sugar everywhere. All cleaned now though. Unfortunately as it is too hot to do this type of activity without opening windows, in came the wasps and he seems to have more or less emptied my wasp spray. I've disposed of the dead wasps too.

Are doughnuts a healthy breakfast? Don't answer that! I would worry about my waistline but I seem no longer to have one, am spherical.

I am thinking of tge TA s, Deleted_User, Snoozer, poppy, Gers and I know I've missed people out so please excuse that and know that I am sending healing thoughts to all who might need them.

Today's plan is go shopping for wasp killing spray.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    Morning folks. I am back with you this morning. I was too miserable to be sociable yesterday morning after a really horrible Monday. Yesterday was a much better day so back to waffling on to you all again!

Anyway a re-cap of the horrible day Monday. After Mr TA's tumble out of bed the night before the brain scan showed no damage, so good news to arrive at the hospital for, Downhill after that. He was still pretty dozy and sleepy, off the drip but still on the IV anti-b's. The doctor came round and said no way was he fit enough to travel to Leeds for the Oncology results next day and we should cancel. I didn't have the necessary numbers with me so had to wait till DD finished work and get her to go to our house and gather up all the numbers so I could ring and cancel everything. (No help forthcoming from the ward staff!) Finally sot that sorted and re-booked for next week - if he is fit enough to travel. Then two nurses appeared to "help pack his stuff up" Why I said. Oh has no-one told you he is changing wards again! The 3rd different ward since he was admitted Sat night!

Got to the new ward 5 ish and it was total chaos with irate short tempered staff, obnoxious foul mouthed patients hurling abuse, and generally totally depressing. No-one had time to tell us what his plan was or anything. Mr TA's DB arrived to visit and said his BIL had been on the same ward and they had the same opinion of it. I was in tears leaving him there and was totally heart-sloughed when I got home.

DS and I got there yesterday morning for visiting fearing the same again but it was much calmer, the staff were pleasant and helpful and even the obnoxious patients had calmed down! Mr TA looked worn out through lack of sleep. he said it had been horrible through the night with these patients banging, buzzing and shouting all night.

Still on IV anti-b's and daily bloods. Two young physios came in the afternoon and got him out of bed and into a chair, talked him through gentle exercises and walked him round the ward. A big advance from Saturday when he couldn't move. They are coming back this morning.

DD arrived with the 3 girls and suggested asking for a wheelchair to take him for a little wander round the grounds. She said there were loads of patients and visitors sat around in the sunshine. The nurses were in agreement so off we went on our little excursion. The two younger DGDs thought it was great fun pushing grandad around! He had really enjoyed the change of scene after being cooped up in bed.

DS picking me up 10.30 ish for another day of visiting so we will see what today brings. DD bringing the 2 younger girls on late afternoon and, all being well and weather permitting, we hope to wheel him out again. Meanwhile my poached egg on toast is calling and then must pack up my goody bag of eats for the day. I can't do with being hungry! I have a fancy for BLT bagels today. I don't bother with a flask as the take away Americano from the cafe is pretty good. Not very MSE but what the heck!

I shall read back on yesterday's posts now but from the above comments I gather ELONA is now a grandma. Huge congratulations to all. It sounds like there is more optimistic news for POPPY, GERS DM might have been getting discharged, Mr CSARINA also still in hospital and health updates for the SNOOZERS. ((HUGS)) to all, have a good day if you can and take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    Options
    TA I hope that Mr TA has a good day today xx
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning all and thanks for the start Holly, the tea and cake excursion won’t happen until Friday as I have to take my turn in the visitor line :)

Am sorry that things have been rough TA but the trip outside sounded good and seeing you all will no doubt lift his spirits.
    Good to read that your DM has settled in at home Gers
    A weather moaner here who is pleased that the temperature has dropped :D as it means Lu and I can get out and about today, it’s been far too hot & unfair to do anything for days.

Thinking of all poorlies and those who are caring for them, have a good day folks x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure