No Debt but struggling

Options
Hi All,

I am struggling with money each month, i have no frivolous spends and am really tight with my budget. I used to have a gambling problem and spent about GBP 3000 over the course of it before i got clean. Been 5 months so im not wasting that anymore.

I work and support myself and my mother (who's 73 and mentally ill) so I pay all her bills as well. Did an SOA which shows I should have money left at the end of it, but i usually only have maybe 10 quid left at the end of it with no clue where it's going. I have poured over my yearly statements and i'm at a loss. I have build up my savings over the past year and thankfully have that but it's not growing. Any help or advise would be appreciated. My rent is high but I cannot move as ive calculated it would cost me almost the same maybe saving 20 quid if I count in commuting costs and eating expenses

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information[/b]
Number of adults in household........... 1
Number of children in household......... 0
Number of cars owned.................... 0

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 2200
Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
Benefits................................ 0
Other income............................ 0
Total monthly income.................... 2200

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 0
Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
Rent.................................... 1045.5
Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
Council tax............................. 108
Electricity............................. 25
Gas..................................... 25
Oil..................................... 0
Water rates............................. 23
Telephone (land line)................... 0
Mobile phone............................ 20
TV Licence.............................. 12.12
Satellite/Cable TV...................... 49.99
Internet Services....................... 0
Groceries etc. ......................... 75
Clothing................................ 0
Petrol/diesel........................... 0
Road tax................................ 0
Car Insurance........................... 0
Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 0
Car parking............................. 0
Other travel............................ 0
Childcare/nursery....................... 0
Other child related expenses............ 0
Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 0
Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
Buildings insurance..................... 0
Contents insurance...................... 10
Life assurance ......................... 0
Other insurance......................... 0
Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 0
Haircuts................................ 0
Entertainment........................... 17.4 (Cineworld Membership)
Holiday................................. 0
Emergency fund.......................... 0
Payment for Mom......................... 500
Total monthly expenses.................. 1911.01

Assets

Cash.................................... 25000
House value (Gross)..................... 0
Shares and bonds........................ 0
Car(s).................................. 0
Other assets............................ 0
Total Assets............................ 25000

No Secured nor Hire Purchase Debts

Unsecured Debts
Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
Total unsecured debts..........0.........0.........-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 2,200
Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 1,911.01
Available for debt repayments........... 288.99
Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 0
Amount left after debt repayments....... 288.99

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
Total assets (things you own)........... 25,000
Total HP & Secured debt................. -0
Total Unsecured debt.................... -0
Net Assets.............................. 25,000

Comments

• ChasingSunshine
    Options
    Hi don't want to just read and run. That rent is a killer but appreciate you have looked at the cost and made the best decision for you.

Someone who has more knowledge will no doubt be along soon with more advice but I think that if you don't know where the money is going each month then a spending diary is a good place to start so you can see how small spends add up even just a few pence here and there.

Have all those bill totals included the money you are spending on your mum's as well? If there is nothing showing in your bank statements is it that you are paying it out in cash instead?

Good luck. You will get there.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your SOA shows where it should be going - try keeping a spending diary to see where it actually is going. Record where every single penny goes.

As far as the SOA goes, the satellite/cable TV sum is pretty high, but there are some things which you need to put an amount in, but currently have none (never have a hair cut for example).

But the main problem outgoing is the £500 per month to your Mum, which you can barely afford. Given everything else seems cut almost to the bone, you need to cut this, or find a better paying which brings more in - the simple formula to get out of debt etc is spend less and earn more.

Good luck
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Hi Zoe - welcome to the boards and well done for being brave enough to face up to your situation AND for beating your gambling addiction too - that's brilliant! You'll find there are a lot of folk who will really identify with your situation on here too - great for ongoing support!

Now - let's take a look at that SOA - comments in red as usual...
    Zoe185 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am struggling with money each month, i have no frivolous spends and am really tight with my budget. I used to have a gambling problem and spent about GBP 3000 over the course of it before i got clean. Been 5 months so im not wasting that anymore.

I work and support myself and my mother (who's 73 and mentally ill) so I pay all her bills as well. Has your Mum been assessed to make sure she's getting all the benefits that she's due? If you're covering her bills too then I'm not surprised you're struggling - while your income is good it's not THAT good to manage that as well. Did an SOA which shows I should have money left at the end of it, but i usually only have maybe 10 quid left at the end of it with no clue where it's going. Spending diary is the first stop for you then - you need to establish where the lost money is being frittered. I have poured over my yearly statements and i'm at a loss. I have build up my savings over the past year and thankfully have that but it's not growing. Any help or advise would be appreciated. My rent is high but I cannot move as ive calculated it would cost me almost the same maybe saving 20 quid if I count in commuting costs and eating expenses

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information[/b]
    Number of adults in household........... 1
    Number of children in household......... 0
    Number of cars owned.................... 0

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 2200
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
    Benefits................................ 0
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 2200

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 0
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 1045.5 This is a painful amount of money -
    personally I'd keep my eyes around for possibilities to move to. Otherwise have you thought about buying? Pretty sure you could get a mortgage for less and you have a lump sum saved for a deposit.

Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 108 Single person discount on yours I assume? Look at splitting payments across 12 months rather than 10 to help with budgeting
    [STRIKE] Does your Mum get hers fully covered through benefits?[/STRIKE]

Electricity............................. 25
    Gas..................................... 25
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 23
    Telephone (land line)................... 0
    Mobile phone............................ 20
    TV Licence.............................. 12.12
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 49.99 If you're struggling then I'd suggest taking a long hard look at this - ultimately it IS a luxury and you can get a very basic Phone/internet/TV package for less.
    Internet Services....................... 0
    Groceries etc. ......................... 75 [STRIKE]Seriously? For two people if this covers your Mum as well? I think you really need to look at what you're eating as this is genuinely not enough.[/STRIKE] OK in spite of this not covering two people it still feels a bit low to me for someone earning the level of money you are - have a good look at the sort of food you're eating. Also is there a chance that this is not accurate I wonder and that things like a sandwich or a meal out, or extra supermarket visits are eating into that surplus that you donj't have each month?
    Clothing................................ 0 Nothing? Never? Not even new knickers occasionally? ;)
    Petrol/diesel........................... 0
    Road tax................................ 0
    Car Insurance........................... 0
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 0
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 0 You walk everywhere, always? Never get the bus because it's raining, hop on a train to see relatives, or get a taxi back with heavy shopping? h[STRIKE]ow about your Mum - there's not costs associated with her travel to medical appointments etc?[/STRIKE]
    Childcare/nursery....................... 0
    Other child related expenses............ 0
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 0
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
    Buildings insurance..................... 0
    Contents insurance...................... 10 [STRIKE]well done - is this for two properties, yours and your Mum's?[/STRIKE] When you renew shop around a bit - you can almost certainly knock a £ or two per month off that. Also look at paying upfront for the year then setting money aside - it works out cheaper.
    Life assurance ......................... 0
    Other insurance......................... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 0 Nothing? Never? Not even a bunch of flowers for your Mum on her birthday?
    Haircuts................................ 0 Nothing at all? You never have your hair cut?
    Entertainment........................... 17.4 (Cineworld Membership) Do you get full value from this? If not either make sure you use it to the fullest or let it go
    Holiday................................. 0
    Emergency fund.......................... 0
    Payment for Mom......................... 500 OK - this now makes sense so you pay this out a lump sum rather than it being split across the stuff above. I'll strikethrough the comments relating to it above then.
    Total monthly expenses.................. 1911.01

Assets

Cash.................................... 25000
    House value (Gross)..................... 0
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 0
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 25000

No Secured nor Hire Purchase Debts

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Total unsecured debts..........0.........0.........-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 2,200
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 1,911.01
    Available for debt repayments........... 288.99
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 0
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 288.99 As above - spending diary as a matter of urgency - this is nearly £4k a year that's going astray.

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 25,000
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -0
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -0
    Net Assets.............................. 25,000

I think that the things you need to do are:
    a) Check on your Mum's benefits - you shouldn't be needing to pay out that lump sum each month to cover her costs - a small amount to facilitate some luxuries is one thing, having to pay for her to be able to live is not really on though.
    b) Spending diary - get that surplus tracked down and accounted for!
    c) Have a long hard think about your living arrangements - 50% of your hard-earned is currently going straight to someone elses pocket for rent and you have nothing to show for it going forwards.
    d) Think about the cash withdrawals you make - if you've got stray spending and it's not showing on your statements then it must be going in cash spends - this is where the spending diary will help. Also you could try switching to spending everything via contactless/debit card for the next month to see where it's disappearing to.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • tallyhoh
    tallyhoh Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is your Mom getting all the help she is entitled to? Check on the link https://www.turn2us.org.uk/
    Tallyhoh! Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £29382.50 so far!
  • Wookey
    Wookey Posts: 812 Forumite
    Options
    Paying £50 pm for sat tv and having a cineworld pass at £17.50 pm is that really worth it? I would cut out both but if you do use one more than the other then cut at least one of them out. When your mum turns 74 start the process for getting a free tv licence for her, as others say enquire she is getting her full entitlement for benefits, CAB could help there. Is that £75pm on groceries correct, it seems a bit low.

On the bright side you have managed to build up 25k in savings which is a very tidy sum to have, make sure you have this split across the best interest paying accounts you can find, it should at the very least be holding it's own in regard to depreciation via inflation.
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
  • Zoe185
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for the replies, here goes:

1) Mum lives overseas and is not in the UK. The 500 a month i send covers her maintenance, water, electricity, gas and food with little left over.
    2) Rent is a killer, unfortunately live in london and in Zone 6 as well. Struggling to find anything within a lower budget that would be benificial or get me any extra savings. Do not want to go back to a house share i lived a hellish life before.
    3) My work is literally around the corner from home so no commute costs.
    4) It's just me and mom i have no other family to visit. Struggled with years of depression and lonliness but hey ho.
    5) Council tax is a single person discount, will look into spreading that out to 12 months instead of the 10
    6) I was actually paying an eye watering 77 quid for the Internet/Tv/Phone package. Just spoke to them 2 days ago told them couldn't afford it and got it down to 49.99. It's the only other entertainment i have.
    7) Spend approximately 20-25 on food pw.Think i really need to sit and go through every single transaction as this is the only other place i can think the money is going.
    8) Cineworld I use quite a lot, as i'm alone it helps to go just sit and watch a movie and get out of the house
    9) Yep should have something under transport cost. Would say approximately 20 quid a month getting to and from Cineworld!
    10) No presents cause cant afford it! Think i should start putting some money away for it as I have a business partner who invites me over for xmas with his family (would be all alone otherwise)
    11) Haircut - Think the last time i had a haircut was 6 months ago. Stupid i know but i really hate spending when i dont need to.
    12) I do have to start keeping a little notebook. It's getting me down that i cant even manage on the type of salary I am getting for the kind of work i do. It's actually way above the standard salary and i'm earning as much as people who've working for 20+ years (been in the business for just 11)
  • Zoe185
    Options
    Wookey wrote: »
    Paying £50 pm for sat tv and having a cineworld pass at £17.50 pm is that really worth it? I would cut out both but if you do use one more than the other then cut at least one of them out. When your mum turns 74 start the process for getting a free tv licence for her, as others say enquire she is getting her full entitlement for benefits, CAB could help there. Is that £75pm on groceries correct, it seems a bit low.

On the bright side you have managed to build up 25k in savings which is a very tidy sum to have, make sure you have this split across the best interest paying accounts you can find, it should at the very least be holding it's own in regard to depreciation via inflation.

The money is currently parked in a Cash ISA. I'm not really sure what accounts or how to gain more interest on this. I don't want to gamble with this on stocks as it has taken me so very very long and with a lot of struggle to save this. I live like a complete pauper (work - home - work) dont go out much, have a few friends but they're all busy in their lives/families. So between the TV, Cineworld and my local library I keep myself busy with my free time.
  • Wookey
    Wookey Posts: 812 Forumite
    edited 7 September 2017 at 12:16PM
    Options
    The money is currently parked in a Cash ISA. I'm not really sure what accounts or how to gain more interest on this. I don't want to gamble with this on stocks as it has taken me so very very long and with a lot of struggle to save this. I live like a complete pauper (work - home - work) dont go out much, have a few friends but they're all busy in their lives/families. So between the TV, Cineworld and my local library I keep myself busy with my free time.

Take a look on the savings board for ideas Re where to put money for better returns, regular savers are the best ones atm with 5% achievable on quite a few, you may need to setup a few accounts and cycle money thru them to hit the required criteria. Cash ISA aren't recognised now as being the best place for savings as the government now don't tax savings income (within limits) .

Instead of shelling out for the TV/cine maybe look for a bit of part time work in the evenings (maybe in that library), it would get you out earning a few extra quid and meeting new folk. I do some part time bar work over and above my regular job, i look at it from the pov that if I'm out earning I am not spending hardly anything.
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
  • Zoe185
    Options
    Wookey wrote: »
    Take a look on the savings board for ideas Re where to put money for better returns, regular savers are the best ones atm with 5% achievable on quite a few, you may need to setup a few accounts and cycle money thru them to hit the required criteria. Cash ISA aren't recognised now as being the best place for savings as the government now don't tax savings income (within limits) .

Instead of shelling out for the TV/cine maybe look for a bit of part time work in the evenings (maybe in that library), it would get you out earning a few extra quid and meeting new folk. I do some part time bar work over and above my regular job, i look at it from the pov that if I'm out earning I am not spending hardly anything.

Hi Wookey: Thank you! WIll look into the other savings accounts as it makes no sense to keep the cash parked in an ISA with little return.

I work 15hrs a day (Really not even kidding) and every 2 weeks saturday and sunday weekends from 9am-11pm to keep that level of salary. I was trying to look for jobs only for other 2 weekends i have free but I dont have many other skillsets. Retail would be an option but every time i've applied they want me to do regular work days as well which is not possible for me :eek:
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I work 15hrs a day (Really not even kidding) and every 2 weeks saturday and sunday weekends from 9am-11pm to keep that level of salary. I was trying to look for jobs only for other 2 weekends i have free but I dont have many other skillsets. Retail would be an option but every time i've applied they want me to do regular work days as well which is not possible for me :eek:

If you can't get a better paying job, then you need to reduce you rent and/or the amount you send to your mother, which account for c.50% and c.25% of your net pay, respectively. Everything else is simply fiddling around the edges.

Sorry to say this, but there's no magic bullet - you're not going to solve this issue until you increase what comes in (job) or reduce what goes out (rent, mother). If you can't (or won't) deal with these issues, things won't change.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure