Mortgage payments with unequal deposits

Options
Hi there. My partner and I have bought a house and we've made unequal deposits (one 80%, one 20%). A legal document has been written up to protect each person's deposit. What are people's views on how we should treat the mortgage payments? As I have paid 80%, should I pay 80% of the mortgage too? Or should I actually pay less as I've put more into the deposit? Then again, should it be 50/50? I know there's no "right" answer to this as it depends on the relationship, the individual, and other circumstances, but I would be grateful for people's opinions.

Comments

• julicorn
    julicorn Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Depends on if you're talking about wanting to protect the money you're putting in, or generally interested in how others handle this.
    We both pay roughly the same proportion of our income, so because I earn quite a lot more, I also pay quite a bit more. I'm not worried about the difference though, or about protecting my money - it's just wait works for us.
    Original mortgage: December 2017, £203,495
    MFW start: April 2018, £201,800
    Mortgage neutral: September 2022, mortgage redeemed: December 2022
    New house, new mortgage: December 2022, £276,007
    Current balance: £217,800 minus £8,300 overpayment savings pot
  • jennhg88
    jennhg88 Posts: 253 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We earn roughly the same and split the mortgage payment down the middle. He put in all the deposit.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you both earn about the same, keep it simple and pay 50/50 for everything - if you note the deposit difference then it would be easy to work out if you ever need to sell if you split.
  • anonymous10
    Options
    Thank you for your replies, if anyone has any other thoughts please feel free to post
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I put in 55k, my partner around 3k (we have a deed of trust for this, at my partners request, not mine).

I earn double what ny partner earns, so I put double what she puts into the joint account.

It!!!8217;s not always about equals. If it!!!8217;s someone you love and you!!!8217;re both happy with whatever way you do it, that!!!8217;s what matters. It doesn!!!8217;t have to be 50/50 for everything.

We have a joint account for bills and then the rest of our money is our money, we don!!!8217;t pool it all together like some couple do.

For me, I wouldn!!!8217;t be comfortable with her having say £600 a month after bills, and me having over £1700. It!!!8217;s worked for us for years.

Do what works for you.
  • studentguy
    studentguy Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    The way we're planning on doing it is I've worked out what we need to cover bills, mortgage and an emergency fund, which comes out of a joint account, and we both put in the same proportion of our income into that account - around 70% IIRC. So I will end up putting more into that account than her in purely cash terms - but this way it seems fairer so we both end up with the same % of money each that's ours.
    Despite my name, I'm not a student any more
  • lazareth1
    lazareth1 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    I earn 50% more than my partner when it comes to wages but we decided way before our joint mortgage that we would just pool all our money together for anything related to living costs.

This meant that our mortgage is 50/50 but in reality it's 75/25. This doesn't bother me, she works just as hard as I do probably more! The other plus side she'll be more inclined to look after the house as she has a higher stake in it :)
  • CathyJ_2
    Options
    My partner and myself are in an extremely similar with our mortgage deposits, his was about 10% mine 90%. The legal document I believe means if you were to sale the house you would get 80% of the value.

You've paid extra to get the home, which has been legal secured for you to come out on top to be honest. Paying less would mean in the event you sale or split up, you get 80% plus get to benefit from the lower contribution to the home.
    Paying more in my view is equally as bad as you are just paying more of your own money in, for something that's technically joint.

I always think if you're happy to do 50/50 on all household bills then do as you jointly entered a legal contract together to purchase a home so it's both peoples responsibly to make sure the household runs.

However if you earn 50k and your partner earns 25k and struggles to maintain 50/50 there's no harm in tweaking it a little so you both find it financially beneficial ie, both have £400 pm to live off after you've paid for everything so one isn't always relying on the other for meals out etc, or however you deem fair.

Myself and my partner personally half everything even though he gets paid probably a third more than me a year.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Hi there. My partner and I have bought a house and we've made unequal deposits (one 80%, one 20%). A legal document has been written up to protect each person's deposit. What are people's views on how we should treat the mortgage payments? As I have paid 80%, should I pay 80% of the mortgage too? Or should I actually pay less as I've put more into the deposit? Then again, should it be 50/50? I know there's no "right" answer to this as it depends on the relationship, the individual, and other circumstances, but I would be grateful for people's opinions.

What does that document say about the rest of the finances and how you split on sale, bit late but it might need changing

There are 2 basic ways to do this.

Get the deposit back and split 50:50
    if you pay mortgage 50:50 this is equivalent to a interest free loan of 1/2 the deposit

equitable shares

this is where you own based on the money you put in and the debt you service.

eq, if the 80:20 deposits were 40% of the value and you pay the mortgage 50:50
    the split is
    0.8*0.4 + 0.5*0.6 = 62%
    0.2*0.4 + 0.5*0.6 = 32%

you can play around with the splits

If your document says own 80:20 to make that correct with a 80:20 deposit you need to pay the mortgage 80:20 as well.
  • firstbuyer
    firstbuyer Posts: 165 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You and your partner need to be having this conversation really...

If you're committed together then why does it matter who pays more / pays less etc - should you both not just be contributing what you can to cover the bills?
    Finally completed on our new home
    Cladding Scandal Activist
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family