Please note: The Auto-enrolment sub-board is now closed. If you have a question around pensions, please post in the Pensions, Annuities and Retirement Planning board.

Fraud integrity centre ESA

Options
Hi I've received a letter from BIC integrity fraud centre wanting details of my late husbands annuity pension,I was on work related sickness benefit till my husband died then was put onto widows pension for a yr with a 3 bedroom house and I couldn't meet the shortfall on the rent and council tax ,they told me they couldn't give me anymore help as I was getting the widows pension the sum of £103 per week ,my husband had kicked started his pension before he died,after his death I receive 3 annuity payments of £1600 a yr after tax then the pension dies,I did get a lump sum of £20.000 and used it towards bills and debts ,I didn't think I had to tell them about it as I thought with the widows pension I would be entitled to what ever I got ,I am now sick with worry as I don't know what to expect ,can anyone advice or help,can't sleep can't eat just feel ill thanks for any advice given

Comments

• mania112
    mania112 Posts: 1,981 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is it Income Support they're questioning? Widows pension shouldn't be in question.

At the end of the day if you haven't got money NOW, they won't be able to fine you. You probably should have mentioned the £20k, so best bet is now to be fully honest about every penny and see what they say.

I wouldn't worry about it, they can't leave you without a benefit if you need it.
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    mania112 wrote: »
    Is it Income Support they're questioning? Widows pension shouldn't be in question.

At the end of the day if you haven't got money NOW, they won't be able to fine you. You probably should have mentioned the £20k, so best bet is now to be fully honest about every penny and see what they say.

I wouldn't worry about it, they can't leave you without a benefit if you need it.

This is poor advice. If they consider that you have intentionally deprived yourself of capital then they will treat you as still having it.

Failure to declare a change in circumstances can result in sanctions, ranging from repayment of overpaid benefits to administrative penalties through to prosecution (the latter being very rare). You need to send them the information they have requested and they will then decide on the next stages, which may include an interview under caution.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure