Becoming mortgage-free efficiently

Options

Comments

• the_alchemist
    Options
    I'm book-marking this to keep reading, because although I'm overpaying at the moment I'm interested in additional and alternative ways of becoming mortgage free, and am OK with moderate amounts of risk.

[I'm in my mid-30s, and a basic rate taxpayer married to (and having a joint mortgage with) a 40% taxpayer, in case that influences what you choose to write about next.]
  • silver_4444_uk
    Options
    I am also very interested in seeing any suggested methods of clearing a mortgage, as efficiently as possible.

My wife and I are in our late forties (my wife does not pay tax and I am a higher rate tax payer) and with now having to allocate more money than we expected to future university tuition fees.
    We are certainly interested in making our money work as efficiently as possible.
    I'm very much a believer in
    "In what goes around, comes around".
    So try and be nice to each other.
  • starbucks
    starbucks Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Hi jamesd,
    very interested in hearing your views and thoughts on ways to pay off the mortgage. I have read some of the less than positive comments but think doing things (tax wise or not) efficiently could be in some peoples interests depending on each persons individual circumstances. Whether people are high rate tax payers really is irrelevant. If you can save money tax free in an ISA, why would'nt you ? this is open to everyone (as an example).

Keep up the thought provoking discussions / idea's, it was'nt long ago that I did not realise the full benefits and savings that could be had from making overpayments, but through discussion and education on boards like these, I now do.

Thanks again, keep up the good work.
  • Sepa74
    Sepa74 Posts: 962 Forumite
    Options
    HI James,

I'm with the others who appreciate you posting about different ways to manage the mortgage, and by extension long term finances. I'm looking forward to reading your future posts, and those of others who also have ideas.

I'm a contractor with my own limited company so most of my income is dividends. I have a bit of a cash pile building up in the company, and investing in a pension is just about the most effective way I have at the moment of beating the abysmal corporate savings rates. However as I'm 37 I feel I need to keep a fair bit in the company as a safety net in case I end up out of work for a while.
    Borrowed £150,000 in an offset tracker mortgage in May 2007 - MFD May 2041 (67)

Jan 2012 - £125,620.02 / 2,913.87 / Nov 2032 (58) :beer:
    Apr 2012 - £122,901.88 / 3,170.91 / Jul 2032 (58)
    Jul 2012 - £122, 589.02 / 3,507.99 / Sept 2032 (58)
    Oct 2012 - £120,476.31 / 3,889.42 / July 2032 (58)
  • black_taxi_2
    black_taxi_2 Posts: 1,816 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    i think trying to pay off mortgage before your 55 could be a target to boost finances in later years

gives you 10+ years of disposible income before retirement
    £48515 interest £181 (2009)debt/mortgage-MFIT/T2/T3
    debt/mortgage free 28/11/14
    vanguard shares index isa £1000
    credit union £400
    emergency fund£500
    #81 save 2018£4200
  • elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hey all ... just checking to see if any new posts with ideas were here ...
  • kingster2069
    kingster2069 Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    Sepa74 wrote: »
    HI James,

I'm with the others who appreciate you posting about different ways to manage the mortgage, and by extension long term finances. I'm looking forward to reading your future posts, and those of others who also have ideas.

I'm a contractor with my own limited company so most of my income is dividends. I have a bit of a cash pile building up in the company, and investing in a pension is just about the most effective way I have at the moment of beating the abysmal corporate savings rates. However as I'm 37 I feel I need to keep a fair bit in the company as a safety net in case I end up out of work for a while.

Hi Sepa74,

Have you thought about moving your money into your offset mortgage account? It might save you some interest and I'm sure it will be a better rate than your business account is paying you unless you're one of the lucky ones on an amazing rate.
    Mortgage Free Date
    [STRIKE]Original: Jun 2041[/STRIKE], Current:Nov 2022, Target: Oct 2020
    Debts
    [STRIKE]2010/02 £14,500[/STRIKE], 2011/02 £13,000, Target 2012/01 £0K
    11k in 2011 challenge #32 4.8%
  • silver_4444_uk
    Options
    Hi Jamesd,

I look forward to hearing your ideas / suggestions for basic and higher rate tax payers, with regards clearing mortgages efficiently.

I do overpay at present ( for my own peace of mind , I find it reassuring to see the balance decrease each month, even if only slightly ) and I have a savings / investment pot as well.

I don't think that I would put the majority of my savings into a pension and rely on the 25% pension pot maturing when I retire, because I have been disappointed with an Endowment Policy in the past .

However I can appreciate that for some people who are prepared for the risk that their money could be working harder for them.
    I'm very much a believer in
    "In what goes around, comes around".
    So try and be nice to each other.
  • Sepa74
    Sepa74 Posts: 962 Forumite
    Options
    @Kingster... It would be nice, but would expose me to paying higher rate tax as it would be a 'director's loan'. It's very frustrating!
    Borrowed £150,000 in an offset tracker mortgage in May 2007 - MFD May 2041 (67)

Jan 2012 - £125,620.02 / 2,913.87 / Nov 2032 (58) :beer:
    Apr 2012 - £122,901.88 / 3,170.91 / Jul 2032 (58)
    Jul 2012 - £122, 589.02 / 3,507.99 / Sept 2032 (58)
    Oct 2012 - £120,476.31 / 3,889.42 / July 2032 (58)
  • Aless
    Aless Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    jamesd the suggestion about pensions you mention above is very useful but it seems to me that it only suitable for a very small group of people. For example those who are 25 or 30 years away from being 55 may not be best advised in tying their money (or perhaps a substantial proportion of their savings) up in a pension scheme for that length of time, particularly as the last 10 years or so have shown how the government likes to tinker with pension rules. For example, you would need to rely on the fact that governments over that period of 25 or 30 years do not increase the draw down age or decrease the % that can be drawn down. That would be putting too many eggs in one basket for my liking.

I have spoken to a number of IFA's and generally all they can suggest is investing i.e. shares, bonds, ISA's etc and they have not come up with much novel. As I have limited confidence that IFA's are that great I do not mean to suggest there are not other "cleverer" ways, and I would be interested to hear anybody's suggestions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure